PDA

View Full Version : Slowing Down Canisters

DarrenJThomas
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 03:15 AM
Hi Guys

I am using a canister fileter on my breeding tank and was wondering if i slow the filter down would there be a point where the water flow was insufficient to support the good bacteria leading to no biological filtration.

My thoughts are to slow the filter down at times of spawning to allow fertilisation of the eggs. Once the eggs are fertilised I may speed up the fileter a little and then reduce it one the eggs have hatched.

Reasons, the last batch of eggs only had about 15% fertilisation rate. This may also be due the pair getting to know how it all works.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

sharn
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 10:17 AM
as long as theres still water flow it wont be a problem i assume, the bacteria will still be getting oxygen/fresh water

marg
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 11:00 AM
Why don't you use either a box filter or a sponge filter?

From what I have seen recently (at Brads), the simpler the better.,

Regards, Marg.

goldenpigeon
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 11:36 AM
the best thing to do would be putting the outlet onto a spray bar and have that pointed at the surface. the current gets broken up by surface tention, your filter stays alive and the pair fertalise the eggs as well as providing lots of oxygen because of surface movement

HTH

David

axelfaz
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 07:20 PM
hi mate i do the something in my breeders and have no trouble at all i slow the flow rate down by wrapping filter wool around the spray bar give the tank a scrub every other day and keep up the water changes and u will have no problems

Cameron

DarrenJThomas
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys.

I have kept the spray bar up high and out of the water. It sprays back onto the glass and then falls into the water.

I intend to put filter wool over the inlet which will also slow the flow rate.

As long as the good bacteria dont die im a happy camper.

goldenpigeon
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 07:52 AM
it is best in this case to stick the spray bar about 2cm under the water and have it pointing up. the water makes resistance and so does surface tention