PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus.

Plane
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 12:22 AM
One of my discus has long stringy poos. Some of them are up to 6 inches long. It eats well although it is very emancipated. Does anyone know what might be wrong. I have treated it for tapeworms, fungus and parasites.

goldenpigeon
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 12:56 AM
hey there!

welcome to the DF!

can you get a photo of the fish? is the poo white?

what are you feeding it?

cheers
David

Plane
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 01:04 AM
The string of poo is not white it has normal coloured motions inside the string then the contents disappears after a while and leaves the empty colourless string behind.

goldenpigeon
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 02:54 AM
have you got a photo and what are you feeding it?

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 06:09 AM
Hi Plane, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like there is definately a problem going on with your fish.

Can you supply a few details, like the age of the fish, and how long it has been showing these symptoms.

What have you used for treatment.

Have you treated for round worms as well as tape worms.

What type of food are you using, and have you recently fed your fish live blackworm.

Some information on your tank and water parameters will help too. :P

Plane
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 05:31 AM
I have been feeding a good quality, colour enhancing pellet food with the occasional feed of frozen food.

The temp of the water is 30 degrees centigrade with a ph level of 6.6.

The fish has been six for approx 2 months. It eats well but is not putting on weight.

I have treated it for tapeworm (can't remember the medication - table form).
It also had w white spot on its abdomen which has gone now after treating it with medication.
It's dorsel fins are slightly eroded (I have treated this for fin rot).

I wonder if I should just give up as it is using one of my tanks that I wish to use for breeding.

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 06:03 AM
Sounds like it could have intestinal worms, like roundworm or threadworm. The treatment you need is Levamisole. There are a few good articles on treatment in the Illness and Medication forum on this site.

I know you have treated for tapeworm, but that wouldn't have cured a roundworm infestation.

Hope that helps.

Plane
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, I will try what you have suggested.

Plane
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 05:31 AM
Merrilyn, I can get some levamisole from my local vet. Can you tell me what the dosage would be for a 30 litre tank(my isolation tank).

Regards, Irene

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:36 AM
Dose rate is 1 ml per 7 litres of tank water. Your isolation tank will need just a little over 4 ml of levamisole.

Plane
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, I appreciate your expertise.

Regards, Irene