PDA

View Full Version : the right way to cycle

G-1000
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 01:22 AM
Dear All,

I have been fishless cycling for about a week now and I have noticed a very very minor rise in nitrites today, but upon reading the threads for how to fishless cycle I am confused.

Do you:

1) Add ammonia to the water to get a reading of 5ppm and maintain that reading of 5ppm (i.e do not add any ammonia to the water beyond that, just keep the concentration 5ppm)

OR

2) Do you continue to add the amount which gave you a reading of 5ppm ammonia in the first place, each day until nitrites spike (i.e add enough for 5ppm, then add the same the next day making concentration now 10ppm and so on....)

Sock it to me people !

G

Lee BT
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:38 AM
Deae Snakeskin,

I have also been wondering about the method to do fishless cycle.
I read in another thread about how difficult a guy goes about trying to get ammonia to do the fishless cycle.
I was wondering if anybody has consider using some urine to give the fresh tank water ammonia?
Any comment welcome.

Cheers!

BT Lee

Dee
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 06:57 AM
Hello G,

Just maintain 5ppm throught out the process, people usually cycle a tank at 5-8ppm, i would go 5ppm as 8ppm is IMO excessive unless you intend to stock very heavily.

G'day Lee,

I have also been told about the urine method, but personally wouldnt do it. Imagine trying to explain to the misses what your doing standing on a chair beside the tank .... Other methods I have been told if you are unable to get hold of clear ammonia is leaving food to rot in the tank to produce the ammonia or using hardy fish to cycle, I would NOT recommend the later ... just my opinion.

Cheers,

Dee :)

Lee BT
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 09:55 AM
Hahaha, Discus D, just want to be mischievious.........
Advise from everywhere is that you put in food and allow it to convert to ammonia naturally.
But I find it funny having to put in food when you know that there is no fish in the tank.
I would use other fish to do cycling as well as that may introduce unnecessary bacterial to the water.
You are right, thinking about what the missus will say ( or do ) if they know you put urine in the fish tank!
But I think I will do it quietly and tell her later ( maybe make her puke huh? ).

Cheers!

BT Lee