PDA

View Full Version : Common plec / pleco good choose for my tank???

discus_maniac
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:41 AM
I would like to add some algae eater into my 4 foot tank.
I am thinking of getting 4x Common plec / pleco but i don't know whether the water would suit them or not....temp range 19-26, but currently i got 10 Discus, 2 large Angels, 10 Neon, and i set the temp to 29-30.
Would that be a major problems????

Cheers :)

taksan
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:13 AM
I would like to add some algae eater into my 4 foot tank.
I am thinking of getting 4x Common plec / pleco but i don't know whether the water would suit them or not....temp range 19-26, but currently i got 10 Discus, 2 large Angels, 10 Neon, and i set the temp to 29-30.
Would that be a major problems????

Cheers :)

29-30 isn't a issue whoever told you 19-26 is plain wrong as most commons would die at anything under 22-23c BUT I highley recommend only getting ONE common pleco as they grow large and 4 would be overstocking a 4 footer.

discus_maniac
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:37 AM
Hi taksan...here is the link i found the info regarding about Common pleco...
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/compleco.htm

I used to have 2 Common pleco ( white in colour ) and they all die last week :(

Discus_maniac

Bluefish
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 06:54 AM
Hey

I would only get one as they do get really big.I have a common gibbie pleco in my 5x2X2 and he cleans the tank just fine.He is about 25cm long and they are suppose to get to like 2ft or some thing he is my baby. All you basically need to do is just watch what medication you put in if your discus get sick.Some may harm them make sure you read the label or ask the pet shop owner to make sure it won't harm your pleco.

Cheers

Bluefish

sharn
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 09:39 AM
bristlenose would be ok? or maybe look into the fancier plecos, most dont grow overly big and they look awesome!! not sure how big royal whiptails get but theyre awesome looking fish too

taksan
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 06:23 AM
Hi taksan...here is the link i found the info regarding about Common pleco...
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/compleco.htm

I used to have 2 Common pleco ( white in colour ) and they all die last week :(

Discus_maniac

Don't believe all the BS you read on the net 29-30c is fine for commons

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 03:19 AM
I keep a snow king pleco in with discus. The water temp is 30 degrees, and the pleco is thriving. He has grown from 3cm to around 20cm and always been in with discus.

The only thing that you have to watch, is that they don't develop a taste for the slime coating on the discus. They will suck on the sides of the discus at night (being mainly nocturnal) and disturb your discus.

I know they have a much wider temperature tolerance than has been stated in that link. Remember that most of the information on the net is based on someone's experience, which may well differ from the next person's experience.

oOAnUrIsMOo
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 11:21 PM
Make sure you quaritine before you put in your tank and medicate as Plecos are carriers of diseases that your discus might catch!!