PDA

View Full Version : Fishless Cycling Question

G-1000
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:21 AM
I have been able to get hold of the ammonia and I have added it about a week ago now to make 5ppm

Now I havent noticed any nitrite spike as yet ? Is this normal ?

How long will a fishless cycle usually take ?

G

Dee
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:35 AM
G'day G,

I have just recently finished a fishless cycle using clear ammonia. I found that it took around 10 - 14 days to first see any drop in my my ammonia reading. From that point on NitrItes will slowly rise and peak. I found the NitrIte peak period of the cycle took the longest at around 3 weeks before I started to get any NitrAte readings. I also found that if I tested for NitrAtes whilst the where high NitrIte levels I would get a false NitrAte reading, so wait until your NitrIte begins to drop before testing for NitrAtes.

In all it took around 5 - 6 weeks to get to a point where my filter would process 5ppm ammonia within a 24 hour period resulting in 0ppm Ammonia and 0ppm NitrIte.

I also found that the NitrIte to NitrAte phase happend very quickly, once it kicked in my nitrIte levels dropped very quickly and I started getting NitrAte readings.

Also keep an eye on your PH during the fishless cycle, mine tended to drop dramaticlly when the NitrIte phase kicked in. From what I have read this is due to Amonia/NitrIte and NitrAte all being acidic based compounds and the biological process eating up the carbonates (KH) in the water making it very unstable PH wise.... makes sense really ... although don't quote me on that !

Best of luck with it all mate .... patience is the key when it comes to fishless cycling ! HTH

Cheers,

Dee :)

G-1000
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks Dee,

I have been using seachem stability in conjunction with the fishless cycling - yet I have seen no benefit in terms of reduction in ammonia ?

Hmmmmm,

I might add a bit of established media to the tank....

Will post results..

G