PDA

View Full Version : Tank height from floor

ozarowana
Wed Feb 08, 2006, 06:08 AM
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the minimum height from the floor to the tank base.

Has anyone noticed any differences with their discus which are placed at different levels i.e. people with racks.

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 08, 2006, 06:27 AM
For some reason, breeding pairs in lower tanks never seem to do as well as pairs in higher tanks.

My lowest tanks are 50cm off the ground. That seems to be a good height for breeding tanks, and the second tank is above that.

ozarowana
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 01:52 AM
Thanks ladyred,

My lowest are at 30cm from the floor and I'm not sure the fish like it down there. Although I have seen pics of fish in tanks lower than this.

Might have to do some fish shuffling.

I'll have to dig out Discus for the Perfectionist I think there is a question in there about it.

Lee BT
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:34 AM
Dear Ozarowana,

I am also keen to know the effect of tank location on fish behavior.
It seems that many type of fishes seems to be more shy and fidgetty when housed in tank that are at floor level.
Please keep us posted on your findings.

Cheers!

BT Lee

nicholas76
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 12:27 PM
Ive found the higher the better, generally my tanks ( begining point ) were always say waste high, ( im 5ft 11 )

I currently have one stand that is very high , it starts at the top of my chest.

I find the discus actually behave pretty well, and generally arent afraid unlike the discus i did have in my lower ( knee ) level tanks.

FishLover
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:16 AM
Some one said if the Discus can not see your face, they would not knwo who you are and get jumppy when you walk close to the tank.

That should give you an idea how high you should put your fish tank.

nicholas76
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:37 AM
Some one said if the Discus can not see your face, they would not knwo who you are and get jumppy when you walk close to the tank.

hehee i'd be more inclined to think that if discus are jumpy its becuase you have water quality issue, not becuase they cant see your face.

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:44 AM
I wonder if it's because they see us looming over them, and associate us with being a predator.

I guess fish eating birds would be standing over them, and plucking them out of the water.

If they can see out face, maybe they think we're just a large harmless fish swimming in the water with them. Who knows what fish think?

Hmmmm fish psychology. Now there's a whole new area to study :wink:

jim from sydney
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:54 AM

i find that if you move around the tanks at less than swimming speed of the fish, they do not get jumpy........if faster than they get scared and jumpy...sudden movements are a NO NO....height doesn't seem to worry mine at all.....Jim

goldenpigeon
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:48 AM
i am in the process of getting a stand made for 18inch tanks. the bottom tank starts at 20cm off the ground (might be a bit higher). it will be for baby discus thoagh.