PDA

View Full Version : Discus Somethings a miss

duck
Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:28 PM
I just added a new discus(Don't know why,he was whitehad to have him) to my tank.
Now 5 out of the 10 are hanging around the back of the tank closed fins and all not really eating and 2 of them are in the top corner's.
Any ideas where to start looking as it's only be 2 days now.
I do 50%WC every week and being do that for 2+years,I changed the water on sunday.

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 07, 2006, 01:47 PM
Ohhhh duck, please tell me you held him in your quarantine tank for at least three weeks before you put him in with your other fish.

I don't want to scare you, but those are the early signs of discus plague. The new fish may have been a carrier. Any sign of your fish increasing their slime coating, and are you beginning to smell an unusual odour from the water?

duck
Tue Feb 07, 2006, 01:58 PM
Ohhhh duck, please tell me you held him in your quarantine tank for at least three weeks before you put him in with your other fish.
YOu would think i should know better, No straight in.

I don't want to scare you, but those are the early signs of discus plague. The new fish may have been a carrier. Any sign of your fish increasing their slime coating, and are you beginning to smell an unusual odour from the water?
No increase with the slime coating and no unusal odour from the tank,What i have notice just now is that the new addition being small aswell seems to be keeping the larger one's in check.
I'm kicking myself as well as my wife(Kicking me) with $400.00 of fish on the line

mistakes r crucial
Wed Feb 08, 2006, 07:54 PM
Hi Duck,

We've all done it at some stage I'm sure and I hope the kick from the wife doesn't hurt too bad.

If they were my fish and I knew something was definitely wrong but didnt know what I would treat them with Prazi first. IME the gills don't have to stop working for you to know they have flukes and it's the flukes that will knock them around the most. If they're hanging around the top of the tank and fins well clamped it's a fair bet they have them. If you have the powdered form it is 1gm to 200ltr of water. Leave them in it for 24 hours and then change water. Most importantly do not under dose, you are better off slightly overdosing than under and secondly, make sure a second dose is given 7 days later. Even if it's not flukes at least you just wormed your fish and it's very gentle, I had a pair spawn whilst being treated recently.

If that doesn't fix them then you might want to consider metro, again, you don't have to see white faeces to know they have Hex, I found that out but I doubt Hex would cause the symptoms you describe just after 2 days.
Cheers
MAC

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 05:43 AM
Duck, can you give me an update on your fish. How are they looking now?

duck
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm Extremely lucky this time In the last few days they are starting to come around,All coming to the front of the tank at feeding time,all swimming as normal, fins back up.

I did an extra WC @70% on wednesday,Then waited.

That is something that i wont forget in a hurry,I still can't believe i just dump a fish straight in my display tank without quaratine,And put 10 discus at risk.

It is something that i have read over and over, QUARATINE no matter what.[/b]

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 04:45 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all made mistakes. It's part of the learning curve.

I'm just glad that things have worked out for you this time.

Good to hear they're on the mend. :P

duck
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 11:25 AM
Yes this time around i was lucky, Thanks :)

This was a stupid mistake.