PDA

View Full Version : Keeping discus with bichirs?

nick069
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:35 AM
ok i know its probablly not advisable, but i have seen it being done.
My question is will my ornate bichirs (20cm) bully or attack the discus.
This is only temporary, when the bichirs reach 30 cm i will move them to a larger tank. Currently my angel fish seems to be doin fine with the bichirs. George from SLS told me you can keep the 2 species, but just wondering if anyone here has any experince in keeping both species togther.
The discus will be around 10cm
Am i asking for trouble?
or will it be safe for the time being?

nick!

Loubard
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:56 PM
I think it will be possible, but that the nightly activeniss of the bichir will stress out the discus. He probably won't eat them as it has a shape that the bichir can't get in his mouth, if they are reaseble size.

Cheers

kevkoi
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
Completely agree... The bichirs will not eat them and will unlikely harrass them either being that the discus are too big for food anyway. However, as pointed out, the bichirs become active at dusk while discus bunker down for the night. The nightly rummaging may not be appreciated by the discus.

As a short term temporary measure, it should not be a problem.... Long term, GET THE BICHIR A TANK OF THEIR OWN!!! They deserve a tank dedicated to them... COOL FISH!

nick069
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 06:48 AM
so far so good, i have 4 bichirs in there 2 ornates and to saddled, discus never get touched, bichirs are only fight amongst themselves, largest bichir is 25 cm

nick!