PDA

View Full Version : 1st Breeding Pair

DarrenJThomas
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:40 PM
Hi Guys

About 4 weeks ago i purchased a breeding pair and made them a new home in a spare tank i had.

After watching them for about a week they displayed all the signs that they were about to breed.

On the weekend the activity was very high, the male was cleaning the cone and the female the side of the glass.

When she decided to lay the eggs she put them on the glass, which he didnt approve and ate them almost immediately. I think he wanted the eggs on the cone.

I assume that over time they will agree on a place to spawn. Any ideas or is it just a waiting game?

Darren

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 05:00 AM
Definately a waiting game Darren. Give them some more time.

On another note, did you actually observe the breeding tubes of both fish. The female has a round blunt shaped tube, about the size of a match head. The male has a smaller V shaped tube.

I know you purchased the fish as a breeding pair, but is it possible you could have two females?

If they're definately a pair, then you're just going to have to wait it out :?

discus king
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 07:22 AM
i have the same thing mine always lay eggs but thats it they shake they do the whole thing but i dont no if mine are still to young..... so i have to wait as well and it does get frastrading

nicholas76
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 08:46 AM
egg eating is unfortunately the name of the game with Discus!

its nice to have young fish that are keen Darren,, hopefully as they mature they will produce you large quantities of fry

good luck

Ben
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Darren,

well done on your new pair!

You will have to be patient as it will take some time for them to work out their new home and give you successful spawns.

Some times the best pairs can go through an "off period" whilst breeding.

keep us posted.

Cheers
Ben

DarrenJThomas
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, i thought it would be a waiting game

Ladyred,

The pair have bread before and the female (smaller one) definately has the match head extensions as described. In regards to the male (larger one) i havent seen the v shape yet but am still looking. If you have a photo of what i should be looking for that may help.

I have attached a photo of the pair. Not sure of what type of discus they are or what their offspring would be, any suggestions. I just liked the colour.

Thanks

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:00 AM
They are gorgeous looking fish Darren. I'm not 100% sure of the strain either. I'd guess at Marlboro Gold or maybe Golden Melon. Either way, they are lovely fish, and I like the colour too.

I'll see if I can find you a picture of a spawning male, but if you can picture the female with a round tube, well in the male the tube is in the same place, except that it's smaller and more pointed.

Hmm hope that helps with the description.

DarrenJThomas
Wed Feb 08, 2006, 12:25 AM
I does,

I will keep looking to see it i can see the males spawn point.

Thanks for your help

:lol:

DarrenJThomas
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi

The couple spawned again and this time the eggs were fertilised and lasted 3 days.

They ate them last night. The only change i made was to turn the light off (it had been on the whole 3 days) and used a small desk lamp for dim lighting. Do you think this change would have caused them to eat the eggs?

Thanks

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:51 AM
Don't think the change in lighting made much difference Darren.

But at least things are looking up. Now you know you actually have a true pair, and that he is able to fertilize the eggs. Leaving them for 3 days is good progress. They'll probably have a live spawn next time. :P

DarrenJThomas
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the help.

I like the way you stage your wording "a live spawn" LOL

I will keep you posted :lol: