PDA

View Full Version : Not discus.... Gups!

sammigold
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:04 AM
Hi just thought I would post a couple of shots of my guppies... I have had lots of babies who are growing up now.... it is a bit of a madhouse!!! will be taking some to LFS once they have grown out a little bit more.... also hopefully getting another tank and starting little fishroom out in back garage/shed.... :lol:
anyway here they are:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/sammigold/gupland2.jpg

and one more....
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/sammigold/gupland.jpg

hope you like :D

OscarManAlpha
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 04:46 PM
will be taking some to LFS once they have grown out a little bit more....

G'day Sammi,

Just thought I'd poke my great big nose in here.

Ive been watching these Guppies for quite some time now.

I know I may get laughed at but they are not as easy to care for as some people might think.( or photograph for that matter )

You have beautiful disease free guppies there. And that takes time to sought out.

May I dare to suggest you keep them ?

Now water changes how many ? and what percentage if you have been keeping track ?

What are you feeding them ?

BTW sorry to have cropped the photo but this little one is eye candy IMHO :P

Cheers,

Mark

Proteus
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 09:49 PM
lots of full bellies in the second pic as well...

nice

Just a heads up if you do take some to a LFS, they prob wont offer more than a few cents each as tht is what the general wholesale price is... however you have some nice fish in there, so you may get a bit more. It is also best, when you bag them up, keep the Males & Females seperate :wink:

sammigold
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks guys.... all advice is greatly appreciated. If I try to breed properly i will be separating them so I have virgin females etc.... thanks proteus for the heads up on the pricing (I know they are very cheap :( ) but it is an nice sideline for a homebound mum to give me something to learn about. a bit simpler than discus :lol: :lol: who knows if I get it right in the big tank I'll be discus rearing as well. :lol:

Oscarmanalpha.... of course you can suggest I keep them :lol: .. and I would love to but I dont think I will have the room :cry: there is really too many in there even as babes and I dont want to overcrowd my tank as that could cause issues for all of them...

The tank is approx. 35 litres and gets a water change at least once a week and sometimes twice (usually one bucket 9ltr).... gravel clean happens at same time....
the little guts get fed 4 or 5 times a day just the dregs of the flake cans (Wardleys complete community flake food )(as we have big fishies that the little broken flakes are no good for.) When the babies were very tiny they were kept in a 1 ft tank and fed a combination of flakes and a high protein granule fry food that my LFS makes himself.. some of the smaller ones are still getting fed this.

I keep the water at a ph of around 7 -7.2 The gh very hard around 15dgh
HtH... and I talk to them lots :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Littlefish
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 07:50 AM
Mark has a point. Keeping gups alive is one thing - consistently producing quality offspring like those is something else again.

Excellent work Sammi!

Fred :thumb

weird
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Sammi, also wanted to say nice looking guppies there ! :D Well done

Lee C
Sun Feb 26, 2006, 03:19 PM
Gotta like those guppies :P

Here are a couple of my F1s from IFGA Champion stock

sammigold
Sun Feb 26, 2006, 11:17 PM
Very Nice!!! :D :mrgreen:

marg
Sun Feb 26, 2006, 11:39 PM
Beautiful Colours Sammi - you should be very proud of them.,

Regards,

Marg.

Mike
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 12:43 PM
Yea better remove that endler in there or you wont have pure strain guppies. I dont like endlers IMO =D

OscarManAlpha
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 12:53 PM
Yes better send Endler to Sydney :D

sammigold
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:28 AM
As far as I know it is not an endler.... It is a fry from one of my females... there is three of them... I thought they would be neon swords? :?

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:28 AM
Sammi I think I'd be keeping at least those three males and growing them out. They certainly look like endlers, and if so, are a lot more rare in Australia than your normal guppies.

Send a PM to OscarManAlpha. I know he has endlers, and will be able to give you more information.

kevkoi
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:20 AM
No, that pictured fish is NOT an endlers. This is a throwback Poecilia reticulata which happens when u breed guppies of all different strains indescriminately. In South East Asia, these throwback guppies are sold as feeders.

Endlers are pure strain wild fish. When endlers breed (so long as u do not cross the different variant together), they are replicas of each other colour wise... So if you breed say the "Black line endlers" (the original strain collected by Dr Endlers), every male from that breeding will be a splitting image of its father.

With these throwback to wild-look-alike guppies, there is no uniformity in their breeding, so every fry from the breeding looks different to its father.

Hence, these are NOT endlers.

For source of pure strain endlers, check out www.swampriveraquatics.com

kev

sammigold
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 11:47 AM
Thank you for that information KevKoi..... I didnt think they were endlers as I knew the mother was a guppy.... she was pregnant when I bought her so I have no idea what the father looked like.....

I still think that they are pretty and I am going to grow them out and see what type of babies they produce...(once I am able to separate them off with some females to themselves)

Mike
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:02 PM
Whatttttttttttt endlers are RARE in SYDNEY? :shock: :? :?: :shock: :? :shock: :?: :? :shock: Your kidding me right?.... =\ Where i am Everyone has endlers.. and they just keep breeding and breeding and breeding ... lols.. i know some pppl that have misquito fish there the smallest livebearers there is max size is about the size of my baby discus right now lols. -------- or maybbe a bit smaller.. but yea there great for shrimp tanks and stuff. Do any of you down there in australia know what Crystal red shrimp are?

sammigold
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Mike, I know it may be unbelievable to you but in australia, endlers are not a fish commonly found in your local aquarium... that has a bit to do with wholesalers only selling males (at least that is what my LFS said)

Obviously in Canada you dont seem to have that problem... :)

What does a crystal red shrimp have to do with anything???? :?
are you having a dig about our knowledge of fish/crustaceans? :lol: :lol:
(at least I know its a crustacean :lol: :lol: thats about all I know about them not really interested in shrimps... I've met too many in my short life :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Cheers

Mike
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:44 PM
hmm really how much do they go down there for? Oh i was just asking cuz down here high grade Crystal red shrimp go for 40+ for one and there like ---------- that big.. its really crazy in japan where some shrimps can go for 1000$ =\

OscarManAlpha
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:48 PM
Adds a new dimension to the " throw another shrimp on the bbq "

Hmmm nothing beats a bbq king prawn does it ?

Cheers,

Mark

sammigold
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:31 AM
Mike, dont know how much they cost over here but if I hear I will send you a message.... :D

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:39 AM
Sammi...they are tops Pal......i have a tank with them, but by no means as good as yours....my fry seem to die fairly quickly sometimes, which is a real bummer after having tried to nurse them for a while.....well done...Jim

sammigold
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:49 AM
Jim, thanks for that..... in regard to your fry do you keep them separate from the adults...I had mine separate for about 8weeks then put them in. now I have ones in the community and I will see if there is a difference in there survival rate...I am letting nature rule...

I dont do much other than feed them heaps! they are total gutses... and of course w/c once or twice a week... keep water nice and hard and at about 25degrees.. wallah!

kevkoi
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 02:01 AM
Mike, don't bother... Australia is another world altogether when it comes to ornamental fish. Crystal Red Shrimp (CRS) are not allowable imports into Australia. Infact NONE of the ornamental shrimps or any type of crustacean are allowed to be imported into this country alive.

Doesn't surprise me that high grad "S" class CRS will cost a fortune. The C class however has become quite affordable in Asia.

http://www.fishyou.com/shrimp-crs.php/

Mike
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:55 AM
oh hmmm really.. Endlers here are sooo hardy.. i know some guy that doesnt know how to get rid of them.. loooools they just keep breeding. But yea there soo hardy they can live in the worst conditions and still thrive. I had a bunch in a goldfish bowl before sitting in the sun with some java moss and the water was green and it had tons of daphnia in it lol and they lived for so long untill i flushed them :? lols hmm but i do know a very nice breeder that has the nicest pureest quality of endlers that she got imported from Germany. hmm maybe i can ship to all you folks in Australia? LOLS

You guys arnt aloud shrimp why is that? Oh isit because u guys got problems with pharoh animals already? goats, boars cats and all that?