PDA

View Full Version : Someone Please Identify this Little Sucker

waterflash
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hi guys, hope you are all well. Haven't been around for a while.

I have had this discus for 2 years now from when he/she was about the size of a 20 cent piece. Sold to me as a snake skin but I don't believe it. Can anyone shed some light onto his/her real identity. Never have I seen him her bar up but behind the color there are faint signs of 7 bars

For a challenge have a go at the sex as well. Always love you guys that can guarantee the sex of a discus. I must be missing something as I have never been able to do it until they pair off.

Anyway please have a go.

cheers

Robin

chrissyoscar
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:47 AM
Nice looking discus.
It looks like a Red Turq.
As for the sex that's hard to tell but I'll guess and say male.
Fins look to have pointy ends which is normally a male trait but there are no guarantees.

axelfaz
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 12:21 PM
nice fish it appears to have fine lines on the gills like a snake skin but u say it only has 7 bars maybe a turk x snakeskin

cameron

G-1000
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:49 PM
It has definate hints of snakeskin in it.

I think it actually has 14 bars - you can kind of faintly see them.

But that colour and pattern doesnt look pure snakeskin to me, so I would also have to say probable cross with red turk.

G

nag
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi Robin:

According to the classification of Aquarama, this fish is a Red SnakeSkin (class - thick line)
Bye,

waterflash
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks Nag
Can you let me know where you found the Aquarama Classification? My next challenge is to find a mate for it.

Cheers
Robin

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 05:37 AM
Okay, well here's my 2 cents worth :wink:

Type - definately agree with nag. Red snakeskin. You can just see the feint markings of 14 bars. Definately more than 9 which would make it a red turk.

Sex - Hmmm not an easy call from that angle, but I'm going to guess female because it has a feminine head and also the length between the ventral fins and the start of the anal fin appears to be longer (as in females. It's shorter in males)

You could match her up with a nice blue or red snakeskin, but whatever you choose, make sure the mate has a nice red eye, and then most of fry should have good eye colour.

kevkoi
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 10:42 AM
Definately classed Snakeskin, no question about that. Looks like quite an interesting pattern on the fish too!

My guess on the sex of the fish, being 2 years old would be with Ladyred - it's a girl! :lol:

waterflash
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your comments, sorry about the angle of the phot. I am sure they know when you want to take a pic of them.

I have just bought another three Red Snakeskins today and they have some growing to do but it will be interesting if I can get one of them to pair with her? once they become juveniles.

It is interesting you suggest the head shape as distingishing the fish as being female because the behaviour from very young has been very assertive. never bullied by the much larger fish, would stand up to them and have a good go back. I love a fish with character!! Must be a typical Red head.

Cheers

Robin

chrissyoscar
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 08:32 AM
LOL, well that shows how much I know about discus.
I said it was a Turq and possibly a male :oops:

danDman
Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:27 AM
The fine markings on the gill plate shows a Snake.

-dan

nag
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hi Robin:

The classification is 'off' currently...
But, if you browse through the Aquarama Pics on this site, you will get it...
It's there somewhere here... :)
Bye,