PDA

View Full Version : Am I Over Crowding my Tank??..

foo
Fri Feb 03, 2006, 06:21 AM
Hi,

I have been wondering if my tank is over stocked with the type of fish i have in it... Its ~200l and i'm working on a rule of thumb at the moment... (x litre) / 4 x 2.5= the amount of fish in cm I am allowed in that particular tank... Does dat sound rite to you guys?? or anyone has a different formula to work it out...

Please advise me if that is correct... I have 3 severums/ 4 discus/ 2 Blue Rams/ 3 White Skirt Tetras/ 1 Pep Mint BN and 1 Pleco

All that in a 200Litre tank... the fish are not matured and full grown yet so the tank still looks okay but need to know if an upgrade is needed when full grown...

sharn
Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:06 AM
yes an upgrade will be needed IMO, sevs can grow pretty large (20cm approx). i got the 40L per adult discus rule off this site. id say the tank would be fine with all the other minus the sevs, but thats just my fish knowledge logic, not sure if its any different for discus! HTH

electric molecular
Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:06 PM
Hi Foo,

I'd say you might need a bigger tank when the discus and severums grow out more. Severums are supposed to reach about the same size as discus. By that logic, they probably need 40L of water too. I'd say a 300 L tank would suit your purpose, and allow your discus and severums enough room to establish their own territories.

Claire.

weird
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 01:46 PM
foo, yes, I believe you may be over-crowding your tank, particularly on the Discus side.

G-1000
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:51 PM
Claire is spot on the money there - if you intend to continue keeping them all together - the tank is overcrowded.

For now it will be ok - but you will definately need to upgrade in the future.

G

foo
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hi Y'all,

Thank you for the feedback... I did have a feeling it would be an overcrowded tank once the severums are full grown...

I guess i will be looking to upgrade preeeetty soon... the discus is doing great with the sevs so i dont wanna seperate them... especially when they have been together since little squirts...

I guess this leads me to my next question... will a 4 x 2 x 2?? or a 5 x 2 x 2 aquarium hold 300 - 360l?? or am I looking at a 6 footer or similiar...

barramundi
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:00 AM
Hi Foo,

I have a 4x2x2 at the moment and it has 10 discus in of different sizes,2 sae,2 clown loaches,1 brissel nose.I have 2 filters a resun and a fluval and do a 25% water change every 4 days,and they are all doing fine.I am at present getting a 6x2x2 as the discus are getting some size to them now.Hope this info may be of some use.

......john

foo
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:34 AM
Hi Baramundi and all,

Thanks for the feedback... All the above thread has given me a clearer picture on what i will need to do or look for in the coming months...

from wat i have found on the internet... a 6 x 2 x 2 will give approx 680 litres... and a 4 x 2 x 2 will give approx 360 litres...

mannnn... the things i had to go through just to get a standard 4ft.. it was alot of hardwork and brown nosing... i cant imagine wat i have to go through to persuade my other half a 6ft!! getting goose bumps just thinking of that piece of art in the living... ooohhhh yummmm..

sharn
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 11:14 AM
the 4x2x2 should hold approx 439L if my calculations are correct (i suck at maths!!!)