PDA

View Full Version : The availability of ammonia (for fishless cycling)

G-1000
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:01 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have contacted woolworths, coles and bunnings regarding getting hold of "pure" or "clear" ammonia or more specifically getting hold of "superior power ammonia".

Responses are as follows:

Woolworths/Safeway - The product was not selling well, so it has been removed from sale and deleted from merchandise inventories.

Coles - Same reason as woolworths

Bunnings - Has not got any lines of ammonia products at all. Has suggested that "Hardwarehouse" may have had the product previously, yet has been bought out and no longer exists.

Looks like it will have to be purchased via chemist / chemical supplies.

G

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:25 AM
Seems it's getting harder to find. I got a bottle of it from a chemical supply warehouse, and that will last me years.

Remember, you can always use a raw (green) prawn to cycle the tank. It must be raw, and not cooked, and in a large tank you will need several. As the prawn rots in the warm water, it produces ammonia, which feeds the bacteria. Takes a little longer than the liquid ammonia, but it will work, and may be a solution for those who can't find pure ammonia.

At the end of the cycle, when you are showing no ammonia or nitrite and a good reading of nitrate, remove the now rotted prawn, and do a big water change. Your tank is ready for fish.