PDA

View Full Version : MSG

Ben
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 03:38 AM
Hi peoples!

I thought this is rather interesting!

I just bought a pack of the Hikari Algae wafers for my peppermints, on the drive home from the LFS i was at the traffic lights and had a quick read. I noticed on the ingreidents it contains MSG (monosodium glutamate)

I thought this is very interesting as i expect a little msg in my fried rice down at the local chinese shop but not in my fish food!

Food for thought! :D

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:01 AM
That's interesting. As I understand it, MSG is a flavour enhancer. Didn't think fish were that fussy ? Maybe it's a preservative too?

sammigold
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:10 AM
I am pretty sure it is also a preservative... found in so many foods its amazing....

FishLover
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:17 PM
MSG is in most of the food we have today, not just Chinese food.

If you check your frozen ready to eat food section, I bet 99% of them have MSG.

That's why I don't eat them these days. It is not good for you and I don't think it is good for fish. I would switch to another brand if possible.

Thanks for the info.

Proteus
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:21 PM
Well I am highly allergic to MSG and know what the effects are of eating it... none for my fish thank you very much

jim from sydney
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:34 AM
read the labels, most foods are well noted these days......if in doubt DONT USE

Ben
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:19 AM
Many people are allergic to MSG, in small amounts it is used a salivia stimulant, excreting more salvia from the glands.

This is why some times after eating asian food you feel very dry in the mouth, And as Proteus mentioned many people are highly allergic even in small doses.

many products contain MSG and it maybe seen on the packaging as 621 flavour enhancer.

I would like to know why they put it in the fish food!!??

jim from sydney
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 10:13 AM
MSG also enhances colour, this is also a reason why chinese food looks great. maybe it is used for this reason in fishfood.....if it looks better it will sell better.

FishLover
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure MSG enhances color or not. As for Chinese food, I eat them every day and no MSG added (my wife cook them) and they still look great!

I think they add MSG to the fish food so the fish can be hooked to their brand. Just like MSG in our food. Once you are used to it, food without it tasted bland. That's just IMO.