PDA

View Full Version : Discus stocks in the wild ~ whats the situation?

rupes88
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 01:26 AM
I was looking deep into my tank today and started to wonder what the discus stocks were like in the wild, are they endangered or are they a dime a dozen ? Is there much data re their numbers in the wild ?

I know the amazon is under threat in many places and having lived in Brazil for the past three years I'm also very aware how little control the governments in the region have over the environment there. I would imagine there is a very relaxed attitude to regulation by those govs. on the exports of live fish from sth america. Dollars in the right hand do a lot of talking over there

I'm just curious how our little friends are getting on in the wild ?

Whilst we are on the topic does anybody want to throw their 5 cents in regarding the 'wild' caught fish we see in the shops, how much impact do you think this is having on the native environments they come from

I'm not looking to stir anything up I'd just like to be informed about this aspect of keeping fish.

PS: I would personally like to read more about this subject so if anyone can direct me to further reading it would be most appreciated. :?

derekyeakel
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 01:40 AM
ive got a 5 inch wild green tefe in my tank with hatchery raised discus the only thing i can see is it is a bit more agressive than the others. i have also noticed alot of wild cought fish for sale on the internet sites lately.

nicholas76
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 12:33 PM
Rupes 88,

They are interesting questions you pose.

If you do some research on the net you will find an old ( but brilliant ) post on DPH and some nice artilces on simplydiscus about wilds and peoples experiences in gathering fish from the wild.

It may give you some insight to the areas you touched on in your post.

I only wish we could get some of those genuine wilds sent to us in Australia not those :roll: asain farmed "wilds".
Now theres a real challange! wilds wilds wilds 8-)

taksan
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 01:00 PM
I was looking deep into my tank today and started to wonder what the discus stocks were like in the wild, are they endangered or are they a dime a dozen ?

Dime a dozen ....

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:06 AM
I agree with Taksan (who has actually trecked up and down the Amazon and seen it for himself).

All the lovely and colourful fish we see today are tank bred in huge farms in Asia. We see very few wild caught fish coming into Australia, so wild populations are quite safe now.