PDA

View Full Version : Melafix

electric molecular
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi guys and gals,

My big blue turq hurt itself around two days ago. My discus can be jumpy from time to time, especially when I turn off the lights. I think what happened was that the fish hit its head on the top of the tank. He has two gashes, which are actually starting to heal.

Yesterday I bought some Melafix because I'm worried that the wound will get infected with fungus or whatever, and was wondering if other people have used this product. My LFS guy said it would have no adverse affect on the discus or the other community fish, but the weirdest thing is that i noticed my bolivian butterfly fish spasming a few hours after I put it in (he's right as rain now). Then when I turned off the lights, the discus startled again (I think the thermometer came loose and it floating around scared them), and another one of them scraped itself on something. So then I turned back on the lights, and one of my discus was lying on its side - and it looked like it wasn't breathing. I don't know if it was just asleep or what, but I straight away I took off my shirt and watch and reached in there with thoughts of fishy CPR going through my head lol! As soon as I reached in, he became animated again, so maybe he was just sleeping.

I don't know if I'm being a little paranoid, or if my fish are actually acting weird or whether the use of the Melafix is just a coincidence. I immediately did a 25% water change last night. I checked my parameters this morning and every thing seems normal - how it usually is. Temp is 30 C, pH is neutral, nitrite and ammonia 0.

What do you all think? The other thing that crossed my mind is that the fish are slightly stressed from the temp going up and down in the last week. We have had some very hot days here in Melbourne, and even when I turn my heater off, the temp keeps rising to as much as 34 C.

Thanks,

Claire.

endless
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:35 AM
Hi claire, I've used melafix a few times before and have never had any problems with this medication. However from what you have described it seems that there might be something which might be bothering your discus hence making them dart/jump. Just keep a close eye one them for now and see if anything unfolds.

Paul

sammigold
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:13 PM
my discus scratched himself quite deeply awhile ago... but I found rather than medicating I just watched him for a couple of days, continued normal water change routine and he healed rather quickly by himself with no help... I think sometimes we panic because we see a wound but we shouldnt forget the power of clean water and also natural healing helpers such as salt....

just a thought.... :wink:

electric molecular
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah you are right, Sammi - I might have panicked. I think it would have healed up on its on, but I guess I wanted to be on the safe side. Anyway the good news is that the fish's gashes have healed up really well and quickly too. I don't know if it was the Melafix or what which made them jumpy. I guess discus are prone to be nervous for one thing, but they seem to have settled down now. Just a thought, do you think fish sense our anxiety like other pets do??!

Cheers,

Claire.

sammigold
Fri Feb 03, 2006, 02:21 AM
Claire, you never know! :lol: One thing I know is that sometimes when I feed mine and put my hand close to quick they jump and splash and they absolutely scare me to death more than I scare them.... Its not Like I sneak up on them or anything, they fly up to the top ready to be fed and then act like I gave them a heart attack!! :lol: :lol: I think they are playing with me...

electric molecular
Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:20 PM
Gah! Mine sometimes do that too at feeding times when I put my hand in. They enjoy to be handfed (big sooks), but then they get jumpy and splash water out of the tank (luckily only on to the tiles) It definately must be a discus thing - they like to mess with us. :wink:

Cheers,

Claire.

weird
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 01:42 PM
Claire good to hear that your fish is healing up.

With Melafix, it is important to treat on a full moon, and rotate the bottle anti-clockwise 3 times, holding a candle and with you left foot raised. ;)

sammigold
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:37 AM
RoFLMAo what are you trying to say weird?? LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P

electric molecular
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 07:03 AM
LOL, ok Weird, I'll bear that in mind for next time!

Claire.