PDA

View Full Version : ageing water

endless
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 07:18 AM
Ive been having a bit of problems with my discus recently and was wondering whether leaving my ageing drum outside in the sun with a lid would in anyway affect the quality of water.

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:50 PM
Shouldn't make any difference to the quality of the water.

endless
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks lady red. However i was thinking that when we age water we remove traces of chlorine, without chlorine in the water bacteria (which may or may not be present from our tap water) will multiply especially if the water is heated under the sun. Does this make any sense? im just trying to narrow down what i may be doing wrong.

Ben
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
I would think that a large amount of bacteria would need some kind of food source, so in theory it would not be the case what you mention above, although a very small amount of bacteria can/would be present.

Do you treat your water with anything like Prime etc?

Ben

endless
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 12:54 PM
yep i always use prime

dachoo
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi
As you expose water to outdoor, at this time of the year the air would have carry some pollen(micro-organize), as ben said they do need food source to multiply(protein) & the food source maybe from your fish tank. But the do not harm the fish but if with the water temp.in the tank they do multyply within a short time & effect the water quality.

kalebjarrod
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 09:19 PM
leaveing the water outside in the sun will allow the water to catch more algee spore which are present in our air

Now your bacteria wont multi ply becuse you leave no time for the bacteria to colinize the drum before you empty it and fill it again with chorlinated water, it also won't colinize properly because you don't supply a source of food :wink:

it will not harm your fish though

i had my tank outside for years!

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661&highlight=automated

check the pics

endless
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks for everyones reply. Now i can feel safe with knowledge that having my ageing drum outside will not cause problems.

Hey ryan, i noticed in your semi automated water change system that you use float valves. Can you tell me where i can buy these units from??

kalebjarrod
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 10:04 AM
any pump shop / irrigation shop

look for a davey pump sign and follow your nose

:wink:

Ben
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:19 PM
Was just looking at the link for your set up Ryan and wowser! unreal!!!!

Have you transfered the whole set up to your new place?

Paul,

Whats the PH in your tap water?

Cheers
Ben

endless
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 12:14 AM
Ben, its about 6.9 when i checked on sat