PDA

View Full Version : Ph really affect color?

II j L c II
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:38 AM
If my ph were a stable number between 6.5 to 7.5, do you think the color of the discus would change? Remember, the ph is stable!

Jon

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 06:05 AM
Hi Jon,

If your water conditions are stable and correct your Discus will be the colour they are supposed to be. On the other hand if water conditions are not stable and incorrect it will probably stress them out and they won't be happy chappies. They tend to go dark, show their stress bars (depending on the strain) and clamp their fins when stressed out.
MAC

sammigold
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:16 PM
It is not just PH that they can be picky about.... how about your GH and your KH... ammonia and nitrites and nitrates... all these water issues can affect your discus behaviour/colour.... maybe post those details as well.... also water temp...

someone should be able to help.. also how drastic a colour change... ie. dramatic fading and darkening, or just darkening, any other symptoms ... HTH

FishLover
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:44 PM
I agree with Sam. Many factors will affect the colors of Discus. Any time they are stressed, they go dark and dull in color.

If other factors are the same, I noticed that my Discus showing off better colors when I reduced my ph level from 7.93 to 7.15 (of course, over few weeks period).

II j L c II
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 04:51 PM
oh this is just a question i have, not a true situation. I'm asking because I ant to keep my ph at 7.0 to 7.5 but i read they like 6.5. I was wondering if this made a difference in color.

Jon

sammigold
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 12:04 AM
7 ph is fine..... most people will lower the ph in order to encourage their discus to spawn I think....
If you have a ph of 7 I am sure your discus will be very happy with that :D

II j L c II
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 01:40 AM
Thanks Sammi!

Jon

sammigold
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
No probs... :D

sharn
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 12:40 PM
i have a friend that spawned his discus in a ph of 8 :shock: he said they spawned more frequently and less got fungus at the higher ph, but also said it was more likely that the stable ph was doing it...??? wierd

II j L c II
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 05:41 PM
Yea, I'm thinking that a ph range between 6.5-7.5 or maybe 8 would be fine as long as it remained stable. Stability is more crucial IMO. I only worry because I have a fly river turtle who requires a ph of 7.5-8. It is also said that higher phs are better because most diseases can't survive.

Jon

Ben
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:03 PM
I totally agree with mistakes r crucial comments.

If the water is stable they will be happy, but i have noticed that if the PH is 7 or slightly under they are more happy and display their true colours better.

Ben