PDA

View Full Version : mail order fish

derekyeakel
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 10:49 PM
Hello all i just had one of the worst experiances of my life! I ordered 2 fish on the internet they where supose to arive by 3:00 pm the next day and they where supose to be at least 3 inch fish. well here is what i got they came at 7:00 at night after sitting in a 30 degree F UPS truck for 12 hours and they where a little less than 2 inches each and to top it all off they where dead! water temp was 60 degrees F in the containers they where in! this was my first mail order. Are all mail orders like this or have i just got a bum deal with this guy?

endless
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:11 AM
What fish did you buy?

derekyeakel
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 02:01 AM
a briliant blue diamond and a golden dragon ive only seen these types from this particular seller.

sammigold
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:25 AM
sounds like you had very bad luck.... I have personally only ever bought one thing by mail order and it was a dress...(so not much could go wrong) Are the suppliers going to refund your money? have you looked into what action you can take...?

derekyeakel
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:43 AM
originaly he said he would ony refund cost of fish and not shipping which was $55.00. but i reminded him he had a 3:00 pm delivery garentee the fish came at 7 pm. he then offered a full refund if i sent back the dead fish so they are on the way back. if i dont get the refund i am going to dispute the charges with my bank. sucks i have to go through all this crap!

Ben
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:50 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss.
Can i ask which country you are in?

Ben

derekyeakel
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 04:28 AM
United States i live in Pennsylvania and the fish came from Florida

sammigold
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:19 PM
at least they have offered to refund your money.... good luck!!
hopefully you will have better luck next time if you do try it a next time...

FishLover
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:37 PM
Rocky Mountain Discus is where I order Discus from. They pack their fish with heating packs to make sure the water is warm. I order them for Sat delivery and the ship them on Friday night. I got them mostly from 8:30am to 11:30am on Sat.

I bought 11 discus from them so far and I have no problem with them. As for the size wise, I got most of them around 2.5" and the cost is anywhere between $35 to $95 per fish, depending on what you buy. It is best to buy 5 to 6 at one time because you will pay the same shipping charge.

You really have to stick to a reliable on line shop for Discus. Healthy stock and know how to pack/ship fish is very important. Cheap offers may not be your best option.

Which on line company did you buy from?

Ben
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:05 PM
derekyeakel have you made a follow up call to see if there is some kind of refund? or replacement of fish?

keep us posted.

Ben

derekyeakel
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 01:29 AM
First he said only a refund on the fish not shipping but the fish where promised by 3:00 pm but came at 7 pm. so he offered a full refund if i sent the dead ones back. if the refund falls through i already contacted my bank about disputing the charges to my card. ive got every end pretty much covered so i shouldnt get shafted. its just a giant head ache! Bye the way what is the general way to measure a fish head to tail,body,or top to bottom?

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 05:02 AM
Hope you have a successful outcome to this Derek.

The general way to measure a fish, including discus is from nose to start of the tail (caudal) fin. That's called standard length.

If you measure a fish from the nose to the end of the caudal fin, that's called total length.

Most shops and breeders will use the standard length measurement.