PDA

View Full Version : For those who are trying to paint their tank....

G-1000
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 12:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have just finished painting my 48x18x18 tank and I thought I would put a note on the forum here as to how I did it (mainly because I didn't see much detail about it when I was looking for info).

1) Get a clean rag and methylated spirits, then give a light rub down to the tank panels you want to paint with it.
2) You will need to get a small foam roller from a hardware store with a couple of sample pots (the dulux sample pots with the black plastic lid - 250mls worked well for me).
3) Remember that you can get any colour you want in the sample pots (I got "waikiki blue"), a sky blue or an aqua does look the best.
4) Basically all you do is do a number of light coats on the glass (I had to do 4 coats in total) and allow enough time for the paint to dry (not just touch dry, but bone dry - otherwise it wont stick since glass obviously isnt porous).
5) After each coat - test the coverage by shining a torch and seeing if you can see the light come through it. This will help you to spot areas that need a thicker application.
6) Chuck the roller tray out and you are done.

Should be able to get paint, roller and metho etc for 20 dollars tops.

I will post pics after my camera is recharged....

G

P.S - Just in case - YOU ONLY PAINT THE OUTSIDE OF THE TANK, NEVER THE INSIDE!

Ben
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 12:32 PM
great Tips Grant!

thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Ben

dachoo
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi
Just to share a better & easier brush on glass, but don't know what it call. here some photo.

dachoo
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:11 PM
Hi
Just to share a better & easier brush on glass, but don't know what it call. here some photo.

sharn
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:07 AM
i spray painted my tank, just covered the sides/top with newspaper to stop it going all over the place. not sure how well itll stick but its not getting scratched or anything and looks neato! only cost me $10 too :D