PDA

View Full Version : breeding tanks-size

discus king
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 03:51 AM
hi all i just want to now how big are pplz breeding tanks for discus cause im using standard 4fts and i dont no if they are to big but then if i put a glass divider between them will they be to small.....or would that be ok for 2 breeding pairs 1 on each side..

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 04:38 AM
Hi discus king. I think you can use just about any size tank for breeding, and I know people who have had success using all sizes of tanks.

Now this is just my personal opinion, from experience gained over 30 years of breeding discus. My preferred size tank is 24 x 18 x 18. I find that this is large enough for the pairs to swim comfortably, but no so large that the fry have difficulty attaching to the parents. The larger the tank, the longer it takes the fry to find their parents. After around 3 weeks, I remove the parents (not the fry) and allow them to grow for another few weeks in the tank. Water changes are easy on a tank of this size, and you can keep an eye on all the fry.

As they grow, you will find some grow at a much faster rate than the others. I separate these off to another 2 foot tank and that gives the smaller ones a chance to catch up. Very frequent water changes are the key to growing out fry in smaller tanks. Water changes and a good filtration system.

Once they reach around 2 inches, they are moved into a larger tank to grow out, but never with other adult fish. I keep them with juveniles their own size for a better growth rate.

Now, your four foot tanks could be worked this way. Put in a removable glass divider while you have the pair in the tank and they fry are very young. As they grow, and you are ready to remove the parents, then also remove the glass divider and allow the fry the run of the tank. The additional water will ensure good growth rate.

I have tried putting two pairs in a divided tank, with mixed results. Sometimes the pairs do okay, but mot of the time the males spend all their time at the glass glaring at each other, and forget to do their duty with the eggs. I've also tried mesh dividers, and find that the fry can get through the smallest holes and into the other side of the tank. Once again, not a good idea.

If you want to permanently divide the tanks, then use perspex or glass that the pairs cannot see through. You will need a heater and filter in each side of the tank.

Hope that helps.