PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Variation

foo
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:55 PM
Hi Everybody,

Okay, recently I came across afew different suggestions directed to water temperature. I have mine at a constant 28°C... for my discus and severums... they seem to be very happy with that...

But someone mentioned that in aisa they are now experimenting with the variation in water temperature from 28°C to 26°C then up to 28°C then to 30°C and back to 28°C again... the change in temperature will be made every 4 months. What they are trying to simulate is the change in seasons like how the discus would experience if they were in the wild.

The result was healthier discus being more tolerant to different water conditions and bacteria.

My question is, has anyone in this forum tried varying their water temperature and their experience in doing so. I dont really trust experiements unless someone trustful has done it and came out best.

Pete

8)

sammigold
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:02 AM
never tried that.... the only temparature variation mine get is on really hot days when the temp goes up naturally and then comes back down to 29c within the next couple of days... the highest it has got is to 32c.... the one difference I have noticed is that my discus have started to go all spawny.... I wonder if that was to do with the temp change??

foo
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi Sammigold,

yeahhh... me too... i leave mine at a constant 28°C because in hot summer days the room temperature goes sky high and it affects the tank too... the highest reading ive had was 33 ish°C... but then it just drops back down after afew hrs to 27 - 28°C...

But i havent had any discus loss yet... and they seem healthy especially with the multi vitamins i add to their food weekly...

Damn... I dont have enuff room in the apartment to breed discus... and my other half would chop me up and use me as discus feed...