PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Water - Warnings - check your ph

nicholas76
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:37 PM
All,

myself and others have noticed over the past few weeks that most of our pairs have stopped spawn mode.

after discussions and checking of ph we found that my tap water ph ( well mine went from 6.7 - to 7.8.

Why ? i dont know , change of season? have they added more chlorine who knows! I doubt they will tell me if I call.

anyway i thought id let you all know ! check your water before its too late.

Dee
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:45 PM
G'day Nick,

I checked my PH out of the tap last night and it's sitting on 6.7 ... I'm in East St Kilda.

Cheers,

Dee :)

nicholas76
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:11 AM
thats interesting

malvern is 7.8 and i believe the blackburn area is also off the scales.

i wonder if we are on the same supply?

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:39 AM
Hi NicK,

We're having similar dramas up here on the Sunshine Coast because of all the rain, Ph variations from 6.8 to 7.6 out of the tap. I'm now in the habit of checking Ph etc before I treat our ageing tank, saves any dramas.
MAC

Ben
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:53 AM
This is unreal!

My water sit's on average at neutral, but i noticed in the last 2 weeks its almost 8 !!!

maybe the water suppliers are increasing the PH??

I have bought some of seachems discus buffer to try.

Ben

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 06:55 AM
Must check mine. I'm on the peninsular, so different water supply to you, Ben and Nick. Hmmm interesting.

axelfaz
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:10 AM
ben hi mate have used seachems discus buffer before works well but keep an eye on your hardness it will rise with this stuff.

Cameron

discus king
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:16 AM
im doin mine now brb.....ok mine is 7.0 - 7.5 dark blue but im useing proper ph buffer as well to stable the ph cause my discus has stoped spawnning.

electric molecular
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:38 AM
Hey,

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked my water out of the tap. It's neutral, luckily. I'm in Melbourne's west, by the way. It would be interesting to know just how all the things that are added to our water supply or how the condition of our water pipes affect the water our fish are meant to live in....

Happy Australia Day everyone!

Claire.

sammigold
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:27 PM
water out of our tap is normally neutral... tonight it is about 7.2.... we are in the northern suburbs.

Ben if you are interested I use this stuff called KH 7... it helps to buffer your kh but automatically keeps your ph at 7.... we have been using for the last 4 months and it has kept our tank wonderfully stable.... Its made here in Victoria... HTH

nicholas76
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:04 PM
HI Sammi

thanks for the update

i just tested mine and its 7.6 from the tap.

how nuts is that..

sammigold
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:48 PM
Thats pretty full on!!! Forget our fishies for a minute... how does it affect us... I mean we drink it too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crocky
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:58 AM
Hi all

Wang water moves between 7 to 7.6,its seems to read higher in winter.Are all these reading straight out of the tap or after standing for a few hours as my water can change from 7.4 to 7.1 after standing for a short time.

brad

Crocky
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:59 AM
Hi all

Wang water moves between 7 to 7.6,its seems to read higher in winter.Are all these reading straight out of the tap or after standing for a few hours as my water can change from 7.4 to 7.1 after standing for a short time.

brad

nicholas76
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 07:28 AM
gday brad

straight from the tap 7.6 mate

MOFF
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 08:22 AM
hi there nicholas76
my fish farm is in melb west my ph is around 6.8 we do 25% water change from mon-sat and add bicarb as well cheers