PDA

View Full Version : praziquantal

DarrenJThomas
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:13 PM
Hi

Is there a DIY solution for praziquantal other than purchasing Fluke and Tape wormer from the local fish shop.

Thanks

fishgeek
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:19 PM
droncit dog tapewormer
it maybe classified differnetly in different countries , so regulations on purchase requirements may vary
usually, if it is available as a horse wormer or such, you may find it in larger and significantly cheaper quantities

andrew

DarrenJThomas
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:34 AM
Thanks,

I like your work.

Has anyone come across any products like this in australia?

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 05:27 AM
Droncit dog worming tablets are available over the counter from your local vet. They'll probably ask you how big your dog is though LOL

fishgeek
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:13 AM
be sure you get drocit not drontal

drontal is a acombination of 3 medications for broad spectrum worming
droncit is just the praziquantel fro tapeworm's

also found a couple of interesting products
both levammisole and praziquantel = all wormer! both round and tape together, though not sure whether it is mixed in appropriate combination for fish or how it is presented
http://www.ancare.co.nz/main.cfm?id=31&pid=34

and another with levamisol and fenbendazol together again widens spectrum http://www.ancare.co.nz/main.cfm?id=31&pid=17

equitape was a horse tape wormer unfortunately it is mad as a paste like drench , prehaps ok orally though likely to have to many things other than just praziquantel that will affect water column

andrew [/url]

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi Darren,

I have no idea how much water you are running but I have always found the dog wormers to work out far more expensive than getting Prazi from the LFS. However, if you know any pet shop owners who are prepared to do you a favour and have an account with Aristopet they sell pure Prazi in powdered form. We bought 200gms and the dosage rate is only 1gm per 200 litres of water so at around a $ a gram its as cheap as. You have to mix it with a drop of Metho to break it down but it's excellent.

My opinion on Levamisole is that it is next door to animal cruelty and I most certaily wouldn't use it unless I absolutley have to. In my experience it has knocked my fish around severely and I hate using the stuff so to use it as an add on in another product would not suit me at all, however, that's just my opinion.
MAC

DarrenJThomas
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys for the excellent feed back.

mistakes r crucial, you hit the nail on the head re cost. I am running 860 ltrs which makes the LFS expensive and the reason for an alternative.

I will speak to my vet and see if i can get the power form you are talking about. Can you tell me how much the 200gm was?

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
We paid about $220 for the 200gms but that is wholesale cost, same price the stores pay for it.
MAC

fishgeek
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:05 AM
My opinion on Levamisole is that it is next door to animal cruelty and I most certaily wouldn't use it unless I absolutley have to

sorry to feel i have to say something here
i want these forums to be as factual as possible and i do realise we will all have varying experiences with products
i do not want to suppress anyone's own opinion

levamisole is a licencsed and tested medicine
it is a recognised aquaculture medicine with publshed dose rates in veterinary aquaculture texts
it has a relatively high safety margin with an LD 50(the letha dose needed to kill 50% of subjects) being something like 120 times the suggested dosage
known side effects at mild overdose are gastrointestinal , primarily inappetance in fish

i have used levamisol at 5 times the written dose rate with no ill effects
i think it is great that so much information can be accumulated in one forum
i also find it frustrating when some of the information is misleading or emotive, i feel this hampers the good info available

again apologies , if my comments are inappropriate please feel free to let me know and i will not make them again
:wink:

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:44 PM
Fishgeek,

Your facts about Levamisole are absolutely right and I know what the books say about the drug but there was nothing in my post that was not factual. The fact of the matter is that my experience using Levamisole has been nothing short of my previous comments, with all due respect I do not see how they were emotive or misleading, they were an experience.

Every time I've used the drug has caused Solid Reds to become Solid Whites, a total loss of colour, any movement around the tank whatsoever with any of the fish I've treated with Levamisole has caused them to swim around the tank like a Tuna on a lure, they have been off colour for at least a week after treatment and they simply did not like it. That was my experience.

YOU want these forums to be as factual as possible Fishgeek, I think we all do don't we, they're not alot of help if they're not! Again, with all due respect I find that comment rather arrogant.

I am in the fortunate position of being less than a few klms away from what many people consider to be one of the top fish vets in the country and possibly one of the most qualified in the world. I was warned by her to use Levamisole only when it was absolutely necessary as, in her words, it really knocks your fish around and takes them a long time to get over it.

In my opinion and experience Fishgeek, she is absolutely right, however, if your experience is totally different to mine and you want to advise people otherwise then so be it. Personally I totally disagree with you but hey, isn't that what forums are all about, discussion, feedback, debate and experiences for the benefit of others. My comments wern't about fact, they were about experience.
MAC

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 04:21 AM
Thankyou to both MAC and fishgeek for your comments on this subject.

Lively debate is always encouraged, and we value the experience of fish keepers who have used products and noted their effects on their fish.

This forum is not intended as a final solution to all fish problems. It is simply a place where we share our experiences.

I do know of the problems MAC had when treating his fish with levamisole. We were in contact during the whole treatment, and I do recall how distressing it was to hear how the fish reacted to the treatment. MAC was treating several dozen fish under advice from the vet, and all reacted in the same way.

Thankyou both for your input.