PDA

View Full Version : Question relate to Sand Base

vince
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 04:57 AM
Hey, guys. I am setting up a 90x45x50 tank for discus. I am planning to use sand for the base, about 5 cm thick. I do wish to grow some plants. I have a question here: How can i make sure the sand dont get compact and not producing the H2S gas? Will heating cable help?

Please let me know what you think! If any of you had the same (sand base planted tank) set up. I will highly appreciate your opinion.

Best regards! :)

oscar
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:11 AM
Vince,

Two main things:

1. Don't make your sand too thick/deep.

2. Make sure the sand isn't too fine.

vince
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:54 AM
Thank you oscar.

I find that sand from Stradbroke Island is heavier than the one from Fraiser Island. I am not too sure about Pool Filter sand. Is is any heavier?

Once the plants established, how can i clean it? Simplyt stirring it up might do damage to the root? I have seen some beautiful planted discus set up on the internet, i really wonder how they do the cleaning??

Vince

vince
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:54 AM
Thank you oscar.

I find that sand from Stradbroke Island is heavier than the one from Fraiser Island. I am not too sure about Pool Filter sand. Is is any heavier?

Once the plants established, how can i clean it? Simplyt stirring it up might do damage to the root? I have seen some beautiful planted discus set up on the internet, i really wonder how they do the cleaning??

Vince