PDA

View Full Version : Microsiems shrunk the eggs ???

Jeroen
Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hi there,

Today I have heard a story, and it sounded so weird that I was curious if this could be through....

A person told me that microsiems is important to have succes by breeding....
Well this part sound logical and can be found everywere on the internet....
BUT this person says that for one couple the succes of breeding can be on 450 microsiemens and for others a low ms like 150 microsiemens.
Reason would be that it depence were and how the discus is breed....
Additional information would learn that the salt (microsiemens) by a high ms would make the liqued run out the eggs (salt wants to go to salter) the eggs shrunk....and reverse by a a low microsiemens the salt wants to get into the eggs and the would burst/crack....

Can anyone tell me if there is a through in this information...?
I have experienced with a low microsiemens (around 140) but no succes
The tapwater (as mentioned before, great quality and succes of atleast one breeder 2 blocks away from me) is around 245.
Would it be worh to experience with higher ms...something like 350 or 400, to raise this I would use some discus mineral salt.

Looking forwards to your replies.

Jeroen

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:57 AM
Hi Jeroen, I believe there was a great article on this very thing in Tropical Fish Hobbyist several months ago. I'll try to find it for you. Yes, from what I can recall your friend is correct in his theory, and salty water will dehydrate (remove water from) the eggs. I believe it's called osmotic pressure. In fact, that's how they store decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. The super salty solution prevents the eggs from hatching.

In our situation, we actually need the egg to absorb water and milt from the male, to fertilize the eggs. There is a time frame that this can happen. Something like 10 minutes from memory, after that the cells of the egg close and no water can be absorbed. If the water contains too many dissolved solids, as in very hard water, then this is impossible. The water molecules are too large to pass through the membrane covering the egg, and the egg will not be fertilised.

I'm happy to be corrected on any of those points, as I said this is all from memory, as I don't have the article in front of me.

Anyway Jeroen, I hope this helps a little, and I'll try to find that article for you.

Jeroen
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hi Ladyred....thanks a lot for your answer, looking forward to the article ;-)

Jeroen

Ben
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
That is very interesting infomation Merrilyn!

When you dig up the article let us know!

I wonder if the reverse would happen when breeding African cichlids in soft water.......