PDA

View Full Version : New med? metro/prazi/levamisole all together!!?

sammigold
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 04:28 AM
I found this on another forum.....
Quote:
"I found something called "Anti-parasite medicated fish food" by Jungle. It's ingredients are metronidazole, praziquantel and levamisole. It says it treats internal flagellates, trematodes and cestodes, including hexamita, spironucleus, intestinal worms, tapeworms, and nematodes, including camallunus. The directions say to feed exclusively for 3 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks."

http://www.theaquarians.net/html/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17069&highlight=&sid=3c4b2b3d5d5f0728146a75f293d538c7

unquote...
Does this sound weird.... I thought metro was prescription only and had certain light requirements etc..... How do we find out about it..:?
has anyone else heard of this...?

G-1000
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 04:58 AM
Sounds like some zany scam to me mate.

http://www.junglepond.com/details.asp?item=PF170

Contains prazi (as above)

Even if it did have all three you would have to guess that it was only available in USA.

G

sammigold
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 12:52 AM
well I think its scammy too I am going to see what I can find out about it...

DarrenJThomas
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 03:25 AM
I thought that is was not correct to administer all of these drugs at the same time.

I thought that Metro and Parazi was fine but adding something like Lavimasole or Tetracycline would put too much stress on the fish.

Cab some one please clarify for me what can be mixed at the same time

Thanks

Dee
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
Heya Darren,

I have a book by Gerald Bassleer that lists all the meds that can be used together as well as the ones not to mix together. Unfortunatly my nephew is asleep in the spare room and I don't want to wake him up by rummaging around for the book. I will try and remember to post the list this weekend if I get some time, knowing me I will forget ... so feel free to remind me.

In response to sammi saying that metro is available by script only, here in OZ it is ... In the US it's over the counter. I would say the mixed med you mentioned would be a US product and not available here in OZ. HTH

Cheers,

Dee.

Ben
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:03 PM
Dee dont wake the nephew mate! :shock:

here is a few combinations from gerald Bassleer's book. :)

anti-bacterial treatment
oxytetracycline + neomycine

anti-parasitic treatment
fomalin + malachite green
formalin + copper sulphate

treatment for hexamita
metronidazole + oxytetracycline

those are just a few, :wink:

cheers
Ben

sammigold
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:32 PM
Of what not to use together? ^ :? :)

Ben
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:55 PM
Sorry those med combo's above are what CAN BE used together.

Here are some that CAN NOT be used together!

Copper sulphate+Neomycine

Metronidazole+Neomycine

Praziquantel+formalin

endless
Sun Jan 22, 2006, 04:45 AM
can anyone tell me if its ok to mix meth blue with tetracycline??

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 05:54 AM
Endless, what are you treating. Methylene blue is used for treating fungus related conditions, and tetracycline is used as an antibacterial. Tetracycline will wipe out your bio filtration, and has largely been replaced by metro. A lot of fish diseases don't respond to tetraclycine now, due to overuse and abuse.

As far as the medicated fish food goes, yes I have heard of it, and because it is in the food, the quantities of drug used would be very small, with very little danger of overdose. As one of the drugs, metro, is on the 'prescription only' list in Australia, I doubt we will ever see it on the shelf here.

I believe fish keepers in America have had very good success with using that food as a preventative, but it is of no use to a sick fish that is refusing food.