PDA

View Full Version : Blood worms in the poo ? poo issues help

rupes88
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:04 AM
You may of been following my other thread in discus 101. If so this may make sense.

My discus are doing strange poos. One just did a sort of clear tube of a poo and another one came straight up and ate it (yes yuk) . Anyway when he spat the poo out there were three little clear worm like things that had come from the bigger poo..... does that make sense ?

They have also had a 2-3 threads of 2-3mm poo like things hanging out of their bottoms. They dont seem to shift like normal poos. Sometimes they also come out like shaggy balls and hang there for awhile till they are followed by by a white tube.

They had frozen blood worms for dinner

Now my question: Are these strange things parasite worms or are the empty husks from the blood worm dinner ?

I have sick discus at the moment and I'm trying to work out what's going on with them. I'm treating them for flukes but Im wondering if it could be a worm problem.

I have a pretty long thread Discus 101 talk more about my woes - any help or idea would be great. http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5603

cheers

Rupes

Ben
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
Rupes,

I believe it is un-digested blood worms.

This could be a secondary illness (hexamita) that has developed. The possible flukes have lowered their immune system and this has caused a secondary problem.

You have my mobile number, please give me a call anytime tomorrow.

Ben

G-1000
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 12:18 PM
Rupes,

I gotta agree with Ben here.

I think you will find that the clear stuff that looks like worms is the (I dunno what it is scientifically called) but like the protective sheath that goes around the worm. Sometimes discus cannot digest this completely - this is normal.

Only start to worry if the poo is a jelly-looking thing or if there are little white dots all the way through it.

The fact that you said one of the other discus came up and ate it may give you an indication of how your various discus have fluctuating health (see my other post re-your flukes problem)

G

G