PDA

View Full Version : Administering meds simultaneously

G-1000
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:33 AM
Hi Guys,

I have also wondered if anyone knows one way or the other if it is safe to mix praziquantal and levamisole together to effect a complete worm treatment? Are these compounds known to be cross-reactive ?

G

Ben
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
There is a bird wormer called avitrol where they have made syrup and it is an all in one wormer.

As far as fish are concerned they are more sensitive to their environment.

I would prefer to treat separately.

Cheers
Ben

G-1000
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:55 AM
Avitrol - safe for discus ?

G

Ben
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:31 AM
Avitrol Plus Bird Worming Syrup contains glucose, so no good for fish treating as there would be a huge bacteria bloom.

Ben

fishgeek
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 07:00 PM
the flubendazol/fenbendazol/mebendazol drugs have a broader spectrum of activity against worms

also drontal dog wormer contains piperazine and praziquantel and febantel , i think(will need to double check) that all of these are used in fish

most worm medications are poorly absorbed accross mammalian guts and so paralysis the worms andf not the host

will have to check this is the same for fish
but prehas drontal crushed in with beefheart may work

andrew

fishgeek
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 07:03 PM
wrong!
is pyrantel and prazi and febantel and i have no references at home for usage of pyrantel nor febantel in fish

sorry guys maybe a test on some guppies, i didnt suggets that :?

fishgeek
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 07:07 PM
oh and to answer the qustion
i wouldn't mix the two not because i think they would rather because they are paralysing agents and the fish may show more sensitivty to toxicity in the combined form

i have seen some suggestions of what maybe overdosage and neuro signs on discussion forums before
knowing the way dose's are miscalculated and passed on inaccurately i wouldn't be surrised

andrew