PDA

View Full Version : Fluidised Bed And Peat Filter #2

aquafrogstuff
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:43 PM
I recently posted a thread on the use of a fluidised bed filter (FBF) and a peat filter (http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5437).

Obviously a moot topic.

I went ahead and bought them anyway (see pictures below) and after a bit of fiddling have added to them to my tank to complement an existing canister.

N.B. Powerhead delivers 1600L/hr. Most of the delivery head is lost in keeping the sand moving so return flow rate to tank is low. Supply to peat filter taken from spur line on powerhead discharge tube. 1600L/hr is just enough to keep the system running. I added an inline valve between the powerhead and the FBF to trim the flow rate if required to prevent sand from being 'blasted' out of the FBF and into the tank. As it turns out the valve is left fully open.

Will keep you all posted on how this addition changes and hopefully improves the water clarify, pH and softness.

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
Keep us posted aquafrogstuff. I'd be very interested in your findings.

Ben
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:43 AM
I also would be very interested as i am looking as trialing one of these filters.

keep us posted,

Ben

TomNS
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:32 AM
Your setup looks really smart I like it.

Just a few quick questions - how big a tank do you have, how big are your two cylinders it is hard to get an idea from the photos, with the input tube did you just put that all but an inch or so from the bottom of the sand and finally what to you reckon your output will be in Lph from the whole setup -my sump is only producing about 400 L/ph actual flow and I was thinking of doing this as well for my 6x2x2 tank.

Thanks for the info
Tom

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
i use a fluidised bed filter on my discus tank
it's great!!!!

see my initial post

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853

i highly reccomend them

aquafrogstuff
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 01:11 PM
Tom,

I actually meant to attach the following to the original post. Thanks for the reminder.

In answer to your question, the tank is 150L.

The cylinder is actually quite neat since the inflow goes through a 1/2inch tube all the way to the bottom of the cylinder through a ball check valve that prevents backflow.

IMPORTANT: The FBF is additional to a canister filter. It is not a good idea to have something like a FBF on the discharge side of a canister because the head loss on the FBF is so high. You really need a dedicated powerhead in the order of 1600L/hr. The other added benefit is that once the system gets established with bacteria, the tank (in theory) has independant filtration systems, therefore if the canister dies for whatever reason, I should be able to live with the FBF and peat filter for a short period. Note that the peat filter contains small ceramic balls to assist with establishing bacteria cultures.

In answer to your question about discharge flow, it is low, probably about 400L/hr. It was important to me that the addition of the FBF would not cause lots of turbulance in the tank with a cannister already delivering nearly 800L/hr. This system in my original post has made no noticable impact to the turbulance in the tank.

I wanted to add one more comment here, perhaps with running the risk a getting a slap on the hand from the forum admins, the kit was purchased from a relatively small fish shop in Hervey Bay QLD (http://www.aquahobby.com.au). The whole thing cost me $120 including the peat filter that is made by the owner, Russel. Powerhead is a cheap import, but for $15 I should've bought two. I have no financial stake in this fish shop, but good service and helpful advice is worth mentioning.

aquafrogstuff
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 01:27 PM
Matt,

Awesome info and photos. Already I am seeing more clarify in the water and its only been four days.

Dwayne

aquafrogstuff
Sat Jan 21, 2006, 02:04 AM
Well I've had both filters running for a week now.

Impressions are as follows:-

1. Measured average pH levels down from 7.6 to 7.0;
2. Water definately more 'polished'. Tank contrast is great. I can clearly read the small print on the powerhead in the back corner of the tank (which is triangulated). Not the best scientific method for measurement, but a measureable benchmark nonetheless.