PDA

View Full Version : Heckel Discus

G-1000
Sun Jan 15, 2006, 04:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what peoples experiences with heckels and wild caught discus were?

I hear that it is possible to breed a male heckel to a domestic discus strain - but very rare if not possible to breed two pure heckels together?

What about foods - do they accept what a domesticated discus would?

Lastly, are they more susceptible to water conditions and diseases?

So go on - share your experiences and information :)

G

Ben
Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Grant,

i have not kept wilds so i really cant comment.

I do have a couple tank breds from wilds though.

Purchased from sls a while back.

Sorry not a good pic.

Ben

G-1000
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:57 AM
Ben mate - you always have such nice fish. Its as if your collection of mad fish just grows every day.

What fish have you currently got? (which discus I mean).

I only wonder what fish kevkoi has at home.....

G

Squid
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 07:48 AM
Mate - I keep mostly wild caught stuff. never really had too many dramas, but in QLD we sorta have much better conditions. I've noticed that the wilds will usually spawn just as the wet season hits. Down south, you probably may have to manipulate the environment a bit for spawns ie, change photoperiods, temps etc. I've also noticed that fresh cool water seems to trigger a spawn (just like fresh cooler rain over in the Amazon). I've certainly had a lot more luck up in the tropics than I've had down at my farm in Toowoomba. Its a bit more temperate down there. I have wild blues, browns, RSG's plus a pair that I got from Ben (bred from wild caught stuff I believe. Just got in 6 Royal blues from Bayfish. They are the best I've ever seen too, plus many Green varieties. If you look at my gallery you'll see some Alenquer blue juvs, and in the first page of the main gallery, a Peruvian Green pair that breed often (Japura river). Heckles can be a pain, but will usually take fish fuel discus tablets OK. They do prefer live foods though, and will rarely chew on pellets/bits etc. In fact, just about all of my wildies only eat meat based diets. I've also found heckels a little more susceptible to diseases. They tend to be a bit harder to breed, but will hybridize fairly easy. by this I mean that if you put a good hybrid breeding female in with a few heckle males, one of them usually does to job! Bit harder with heckle pairs- so we'll blame the female heckles on that. Could talk forever about my babies - but gotta go.

Squid

Ben
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the Info Tony!

Hurry up and get back to OZ so i can ask you more about heckels and other wilds!

Cheers
Ben