PDA

View Full Version : Increasing GH preferences

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 09:22 PM
As we have very soft water here, GH 3-5 depending on the day, I would like to increase it in our growout system and was wondering if anyone has any preferences on available products out there to do the job. Iv'e used a German brand of salts previously but as were running 3500 litres of water in our growout it would cost a fortune, it was very expensive. Has anyone used African salts to do this job with their Discus?
Thanks
MAC

kalebjarrod
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 09:31 PM
i only ever used crushed coral and crushed shell grit

this is not quite what you are looking for in a commercial setup :?

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Ryan,

My main interest is getting more minerals in the water such as calcium, magnesium etc so I thought some form of salts would be the go. Alternatively I suppose I could add them to their food but I have the feeling that's going to be even more expensive. I'm going to look at the contents of African salts when my mate gets here this morning so hopefully they might be an answer. Thanks for the reply mate.
Cheers
MAC

Ben
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:52 PM
Hi Mac,

I use Heka Ocean salt for my grow up tanks.

It is a synthetic salt made for marine aquarium use.

I found a good supplier of it $40 for 20 kilos, plus there was postage to Melbourne but he is up on the gold coast.
(i have seen it retail for $120)

I found by adding calcium lactate to their food and some of the marine salts to the water it worked extremely well for me.

As you mentioned the contents could be duplicated by purchasing each ingredient separately and making it accordingly.

Let me know if i can be of any more help,

Cheers
Ben

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jan 15, 2006, 07:25 AM
Hey Ryan,

After taking a look at that avatar photo of yours I reckon theres something going on up in them there hills mate, its either pain or severe enjoyment, I hope its the latter lol.
MAC

G-1000
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
crushed coral = way to go.

G