PDA

View Full Version : Aquamaster Gill Fluke and Tapeworm Tablets (+ photos)

Del
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 06:03 AM
One of my 5 discus had a swollen belly, was a bit dark in colour, off its food and hiding so I thought it was a good time to worm all my discus with "Aquamaster Gill Fluke and Tapeworm Tablets".

I noticed on the 2nd day that one of them was passing a long white poo... is this because it is passing a worm because of the medition?

So is this normal?

As per the instructions, I have to do a waterchange tonight and clean the filter media then repeat the whole thing again in 7 days.

When can I expect to see its swollen belly go down?

Here is a photo of the little guy in question...

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 06:15 AM
That could have been tape worm segments your fish was passing Del. The swollen belly may not go down till after the second treatment.

Del
Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks Merrilyn

It passed a normal poo yesterday, colour has returned and is eating well.

Belly is still a bit swollen, but not as bad as before so I'll check again after this weekend when I have done the second treatment.

DEL

G-1000
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:49 AM
It will take a little while for the belly on the fish to subside.

Just remember to continue with the treatment course even if the fish looks fully recovered.

G

Del
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:42 AM
Thanks G - will do!

rupes88
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:55 AM
Hi Del

Hope the treatment is going well.

Just today I have used the same meds on my discus but for flukes. Check my thread www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5603&highlight=

I followed the instructions on the back ie crush up tabs (1 x 20l) pre-disolve and add to tank, then do a w/c 48 hours later and clean the filter. Repeat 7 days later.

I was just wondering if you did the same for worms ? It is just that my LFS guy said for internal worms you would need them add the med to their food to so it effectively gets inside them.

Now by no means am I a pro (i'm using the discus 101 for my treads) but I thought I'd raise the question.

I'd be interested to know if I have know 'wormed' my discus as well as treating the fluke problem. Thanks in advance for any shared wisdom.

Rupes
:oops: :oops:

Del
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:13 AM
Hello Rupes

Yes, I am pretty sure that you have wormed your discus at the same time as treating for gill flukes. Maybe other forum members can confirm this?

I got 4 discus back in August and one of them was dark, not eating, hiding and not growing compared to the other 3.

I used the Aquamaster Gill Fluke & Worming tablets (remembering to turn off my UV sterilizer) and about a month later the small one was 100% better. He is now the second biggest in the tank and the first to the food!

This discus I am talking about (with the swollen belly) is a new addition and was showing the same signs as my previous one, hence my decision to worm/fluke.

I am due to repeat the treatment (as per instructions) this Friday but I can say that the discus is lighter, less swollen and eating better already.

I took a photo of it, so in a few weeks I'll post a "before" and "after" of the discus in question, if it is of any help.

DEL

rupes88
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks Del ~~~~~ confirmation on the worming would be great.

Mate, I see you are in Bronte, I'm on the nth side in manly but i bought my little fellas from SLS.........just wondering where you bought yours ?

I only put the med in at lunch and whilst they are all still pretty dark they are showing signs of improvement and dont seem as stressed. The jury is still out though, but do hope its flukes and that this stuff will do the trick.

Del
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 06:11 AM
Hello Rupes

Yes I am a beach-bum much like yourself!

All my discus are from SLS. I'm a regular there - LOL! I went in to buy a few community fish about a year ago and walked out with an Eheim filter, gravel and a HUGE discus addiction!

Seriously, they are the best for both fish and advice, I wouldn't go anywhere else. Plus they are nice guys and fun too...

I medicated last wednesday and just had another look at my little guy. Looking much better today and it hasn't been a week yet.

I hope this medication does the trick for you too!

DEL

G-1000
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:36 AM
I would have to agree with that.

I have been to almost every aquarium a few times in the sydney area and without bias or anything like that, SLS is far and away the best LFS I have ever been to.

Their advice is brilliant as is their product knowledge but I find you can also have a chat with them because they are so friendly too !

G

rupes88
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:57 AM
When I bought my 5 discus just over a week ago I found them to be a big help as well.

Ive gotten some good advice here on forum but I think Ill give them a call tomorrow to see if they have any advice or suggestions regarding my unwell little friends.

Hey G are there any good LFS on the North side of sydney you would recommend ?
thanks

PS: Del great waves this arvo - hows the wave over your way ? Do you surf?

Del
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 12:58 AM
Pictures added of the swollen belly - it was taken last week - was I right in suspecting worms?

Rupes - yes the waves over at Bronte have been great - I don't surf but love watching those that can... do you?