PDA

View Full Version : sump filter

barramundi
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:52 AM
Hi all , i am just about to get a 2nd hand 6x2x2 fish tank which has a large sump filter.I am going to put discus in this tank is it better to keep the sump filter or put on a couple of canister filters.At present the sump has 3 compartments 1st one filter wool the next coral shale the last has the pump.Would i change the coral for bio balls? if sump best option.The water in it now is crystal clear.

G-1000
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hi mate,

Keep the sump with the bioballs (it will be too large for filtration if anything). You could put the heaters inside the sump somewhere and put a massive U.V on the out pipe from the sump.

Definately stick with the sump for a tank that size.

G

FishLover
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 03:37 PM
Coral shells change ph level and will keep it up to 7.8 or 8.0.

I would remove them for sure.

kalebjarrod
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 08:15 PM
sumps are fantastic for gas exchange and cooling (especially in townsville)

they hold massive amounts of media and hence bacteria

harder to hold a planted tank, but better for discus :wink:

(ditch the coral for the moment but save it for when you have babies discus :wink: )

barramundi
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks all for the advice i never thought of puting the heaters in the sump, nice one.The thing is i have a 4x2x2 planted discus tank at the moment and after having that, i now want to go one bigger,(Real reason i want more discus !!)This one has a fluval and a power head at presant doing a fine job. So now will i be able to have a 6x2x2 planted tank with the sump filter on it or will it just be harder to grow and look after the plants. Thanks again ....john