PDA

View Full Version : These Minerals Ok For Discus?

Mulisha
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 02:26 AM
Hey everyone i brought a calcium block the other day for my discus tank as the discus are still small i want the to grow up will enough added minerals etc.

I brought this mineral block from my LFS and not sure if it is right or not becuase since adding this to the tank the fish haven't been them self they all eat still just not as much as normal.

I use rain water so adding minerals is needed.

Ingredients:
Calcium Sulphate
Magnesium Sulphate
Sodium Chloride
Thiamine Hydorochloride
(Vitamin B1)

These are the ingredients in the block and i was making sure adding this to my tank will this add most of the essential minerals to the water becuase buying the Seachem Equlibrium is way to much $$$ when u do w/c every 2nd to 3rd day.

And if anyone would know what each of those ingredients does to the aquarium or fish could they type it up please.

Thanks for everyones help this is most likely a dumb few question :oops: :oops: :oops:

Lichan
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 03:15 AM
How big is the block and how long does it last in the tank ?? How big is the tank?
It will definately increase the TDS content of the water in the tank, perhaps to an unsuitable level depending of how much it dissolves into the water between the water changes.....Discus are well known to prefer a low TDS level.
It will also affect the KH value of the water which in turn may alter the PH (upward) - you should keep an eye on that as the fluctuating PH which may result could have a negative affect on your discus...you should try to keep it as stable as possible.

HTH

Pete

G-1000
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 04:32 AM
Rick,

It might work out better to just add those kind of things into the food. Putting that into the water will make the hardness higher and thus more unfavourable to discus. If they eat a calcium supplement at least you know they are getting the most out of it.

G

Ben
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
Feed lots and water change lots and your discus will grow up as fast as they can.

I personally would not use such a product.

Ben

Mulisha
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys just that my discus were very very happy without this block and thought adding would be good for them. If i remove this from the tank they won't be no mineral content in the water as i have rain water and would that be suitable more for the discus?

When u said add it in there food how do u add magnesium and calcium in there food is it like a powder or grain or something that could be mixed with frozen foods as i have already made 8 big blocks of beefheart :lol:

Thanks for ya help and suggestions would be great.

Mulisha
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:15 PM
This is what i use to buffer my rain water from a PH of 4.5 to a PH of 7.0.

I use one and half teaspoon of this Seachem Alkaline Buffer in my 120L aging tank for w/c and was woundering if anyone would know that this product could contain all the minerals needed for my discus in this?

Thanks again :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Ben
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:08 PM
Rick, if you feed lots of nutritious foods there would be more than enough minerals for their growing bodies.

And remember if you want them to grow fast lots of water changes!

Ben

Mulisha
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:16 AM
Yep nothing can beat w/c :wink:

Cheers Ben :D