PDA

View Full Version : Terracotta Breeding Cones

mistakes r crucial
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 07:57 PM
I don't know about anyone else but we have had all sorts of hassles sourcing decent breeding cones up here in Qld. The last one I did manage to buy was $25 which I thought was an absolute rip off so we've bitten the bullet and arranged for a local company to make them for us.

We had to order 50 to get the price down to $12 each and we only need 20 so if anyone wants some please give me a shout. I'm not sure on postage as yet which may well take the advantage away but if you guys and girls in Sydney and Melbourne wanted a few between you we could arrange pick up from one location which would surely make it cost effective.
Cheers
MAC

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:50 AM
Definately interested in 6 of them Nigel. Are you getting the ones with the saucer shaped base, so fallen fry can be recovered by the parents.

Let me know.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:56 AM
The one Ive taken for them to copy is my favourite cone. I do have another here but it has eggs on it at the moment so I will take a photo of it in a few days. It does have a saucer on the bottom of it and the lip falls back towards the centre so in my opinion the best design of all my cones.

Thanks for the interest Mel.

MAC

Mulisha
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 01:41 AM
I was just woundering how much is postage and handling to get 6 of those to VIC from the Sunshine Coast?

Just a estimate price :lol:

Thanks

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 04:23 AM
Rick,

As you see in the post above Mel would like 6 so if you can leave it a while and see if anyone else down your way wants some I can organise to send them all to one spot for pick up locally. It will make it far more cost effective.
MAC

Mulisha
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:03 PM
Oh ok :D

rtraher
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi guys,

I will buy 5 in the box that goes to Melbourne. You can email me at rtraher@bigpond.net.au when you’re ready to post them. I've wanted to get some cones for awhile now but couldn't justify the $25 price tag when you can buy a terracotta pot for $2.50. Actually my wife has a potter’s spinning wheel left over from her high school days and I tried to make some for fun...... I don't know if you could have called the end product a cone, it looked more like, well a big mess really.... There is certainly some skill in making pottery. I thought a cone would be easy to make!

Cheers,
Russel

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 08:39 PM
I considered DIY Russell and then told myself not to be so stupid lol. All I could visualise were these totally useless blobs of clay everywhere and me covered in the stuff from head to toe.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:12 AM
Hi there,

The breeding cones are ready for pick up and I will be getting them this Friday. I have visited the Australia Post web site to estimate postage and by the look of it it would cost around $15-$20 to get 6 of them down to Melbourne and around $15 to get half dozen to Canberra. It does take a bit of the advantage away, nearly 4 bucks a pop but they are still considerably less than the $25 I paid for them. I will leave it with you.

Should you wish to go ahead please confirm your order so that I can PM payment details etc.

Cheers
MAC

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:21 AM
I'm in for 6 please Nigel. And thankyou so much for getting these. It's wonderful.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:29 AM
You're welcome.
MAC

rtraher
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Mac, you don't have a picture of the design you could post by any chance? Thanks Russel

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:00 PM
I will on Friday mate as I pick them up then so I'll post a pic of the actual product and not the original I gave them.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:55 AM
Hey Russell,

Few pics of these cones below. I'm well impressed with them, the owner of the place thought the original one I took round for him to copy was a bit flimsy so he's made them twice as heavy, not good for postage but they will last longer than I will. They are 27cms tall and 14cms across the base.
Cheers
MAC

rtraher
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:49 AM
Hi Mac, those look great I really like that design. Do you think the thicker walls will add much more to the ~$20 postage? I'm still keen for 5 as long as the postage has not doubled with the added weight?

Cheers
Russel

goldenpigeon
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:23 AM
wow that looks awesome!

Nigel you should tell them to start manurfacturing breeding cones and wholesale them to breeders!

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:26 PM
They look perfect. Looking forward to getting them Nigel.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 07:47 PM
I'll get a firm figure on postage Monday, it shouldn't be much more than the original quote thinking about it as I allowed a kilo per cone anyway.
MAC

rtraher
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:11 AM
Hi Mac, how did you go with the cones?

Russel

mistakes r crucial
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Russel,

Sorry I haven't been back to you. The postage makes it a bit rediculous to be frank, not much less than you could buy them locally, it puts about $6 - $8 on a cone. I like the cones but its not really feasable to send them out. A better idea would be for a few people in say Melbourne (or wherever) to get together and order 20-30 from a local clay place and have them made. I have no problem in sending one down as an example for them to copy. You should get them at about $10-$12 each depending on amounts ordered. Sorry!
MAC

rtraher
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 06:40 PM
No worries Mac, I'll look into one of the local pottery places.

Cheers,
Russel

Ben
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
Mac, i would like to run this thought past you.

terracotta seems to be porous somewhat, maybe with extremly fine dints and bumps that can only be seen under a microscope.

Do you think fungus can attack the eggs more on a rough surface than say a completely smooth surface such as a PVC pipe?

whats your opinion?

cheers
Ben

mistakes r crucial
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 09:12 PM
Hi Ben,

Interesting question. I had several terracotta slates when I was breeding Angels and didn't seem to get a problem. I also have a mate who has bred Discus for many years on and off and quite a few of the cones he used were terracotta, he's never mentioned having a problem with them either. However, logic would say that anything that gives little hiding places for bacteria could be a potential hazzard.

I'll let you know over the next 12 months Ben as I am using about a dozen of them right now.
MAC

daniel_77
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 12:21 AM
Hi There,

Just wondering if there are a few people in Melbourne getting together to try and get some of these cones made (as per MAC's suggestion).

Did you have any luck Russel?

I would be in for 5 cones if there are some being made.

Thanks

Daniel

Proteus
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 08:23 AM
Just an FYI, breeding cones used to be quite expensive but with some added competition in the mix, prices have dropped dramatically.

Ceramic & Replica spawning cones/caves are now between $12.95 & $15.95, and if I recall correctly the cones were on sale a few weeks ago for close to $12 each.

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=search_results&catID=62&search=spawning

HTH

Merrilyn
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:18 AM
I like those replica cones. I have 4 of them in use. Much easier to clean than the terracotta and the discus seem to be just as happy.

Ben
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:01 AM
Those JBL cones are cheap!

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=search_results&catID=62&search=spawning

i have seen them in LFS's for almost $30 each!

But if you want to be a tight bum like me, you can
make them for under $1.50 each and they work a treat!

Ben :lol:

rtraher
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hi Daniel, no I haven't got around to going into a pottery shop yet. Do you have a cone to use as a prototype by any chance? Cheers Russel

marg
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 01:36 AM
Ben,

What are the Measurements for your Breeding slats?

I was thinking - they would be really simple for a local Potter to slap up, and then get him to glaze them to counteract the possible Fungus problem.

Regards,

Marg.

Ben
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:13 PM
Marg the tiles are 200mm x 90mm.

I am not sure what affects glazing has on aquarium fish but becareful as it might be toxic.

Ben