PDA

View Full Version : RO water

tomdisk
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 11:14 AM
Gday all,

My name is Tom and I am new to this forum aldo I have been following you guys for a wyle now ;-)
I have a pear of yellow cristals who have had about 10 times eggs sofar and only the first time had they about 50 freeswimmers wich they ate after 3 days free swimming :cry:
Sinds that first time do there have been only wite eggs after two days.
The water here in brisbane is slichtly alkaline ( between 7/5 and 8)
and despite my efforts to lower that with discus buffer from seachem I have had only sporadic a few wrigglers :cry:
My question is ( I have no RO unit) can I buy distilled (demineralised) water from the local hardware and use that or must it be water ran tru a RO unit ????

Tom

Mulisha
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:09 PM
As a cheaper option what you could do is set up some the down pipe that runs off your house into some drums that way you will have rain water.

Rain Water:

Acidic water
No minerals
No kh

the water is really good for breeding discus maybe some people could say it might not be but if you keep up water changes you don't really need KH becuase changing water everyday will give no chance for the PH to fluctuate.

HTH

Ben
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 12:25 PM
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum mate.

Ro water is generally used to lower the dissolved salts and calcium in the water but not necessary the PH.

What sort of filtration do you use?

The best, easiest and cheapest method would be to use aquarium grade peat, wether it is in a canister filter or in a water aging drum.

Using peat will lower the PH very well, but doesn’t use too much as it may lower it too much.

Keep us posted,

Ben