PDA

View Full Version : Filter media

barramundi
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:28 PM
Hi all great forum, after reading what is your favorite filter type, i'm wondering is it the filter or the filter media you put in it that makes your water crtystal clear? So what is your favorite filter media and why.

Proteus
Sat Jan 07, 2006, 09:16 AM
I would say it is a bot of both, but the media you use is what can make or break a filter.

Personally I am a big fan of JBL Micromec as a biological media solution, being that it has 1500m2 surface area per litre (3-4 times more than what the Eheim & Seachem options offer).

Apart from that, a nice dense thick wool for particle removal makes a huge difference.

kalebjarrod
Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:35 AM
i would also say the cleaning of the filter makes a big difference :wink:

G-1000
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 04:29 AM
As far as media goes...

If you want to keep the water clear - you need to remove small particulate wastes. To do this you need filter wool. The more the better, BUT if you use too much, the filter will get jammed with crud. Use about an inch thick of filter wool.

G

barramundi
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 11:13 AM
kalebjarrod how often would you clean your filter? I clean my fluval once a month and rinse the filter wool. I also have bio balls and rings in my filter along with a media pouch for ammonia and nitrite.Also i only clean filter using aquarium water.

Mulisha
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 12:23 PM
I clean my filter every 2 months but i have the intake pipe at the other end of the tank were i feed my discus so no uneaten food goes in the filter.

HTH

discus_maniac
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 09:24 PM
Where can i get filter wool? how expensive are they???
I got a Fluval 304...i am running biomax at the top media, i was thinking taking the carbon filter out and replace it with filter wool....is that a good ideas?? i just want to use less chemical as possible.

Cheers :)

barramundi
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 07:48 AM
Hi discus maniac,

In my fluval in the bottom baskets i have filter wool in the next i have phos-zorb and nitra-zorb pouches and in the top i have biomax.The wool costs $2 in lfs for a bag and it is best in the bottom baskets as it catches all the small particals and do not clog up the filter, my water is crystal clear.

I was told it is best to take out the carbon in a planted tank once the plants were established and i must say the plants did better once the carbon was taken out.Hope this info is of some help.

john

DarrenJThomas
Wed Feb 15, 2006, 12:33 AM
I replace the filter wool in my sump filter each week.

I use to buy it from the LFS but it is way too expensive.

If you go to your local spotlight shop (material shop) you can buy a polyester product called craft wool / wadding made by tontine (the pillow makers)

for a sheet 120cm wide it is about 6.50 per meter. Thats Cheap! :lol:

marg
Wed Feb 15, 2006, 01:43 AM
I use a product from Spotlight called Hobbyfill, it is a fibre filling for stuffed toys - a 200g bag lasts absolutely ages and costs $3.50. great Stuff, and works well.

Regards,

Marg.