PDA

View Full Version : Naturose

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have any idea where we can find a product called Naturose, it helps naturally colour fish.

Edit: I forgot to mention, without importing it from the US.

Cheers
MAC

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 01:45 AM
Hi Nigel, the only person I know who had access to it, I've already told you about. Sorry, don't know of any others.

It may be worth noting that the overseas breeders never use colour enhancers on any of their breeding pairs, only on the juveniles that they are selling.

Wonder why?

mistakes r crucial
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I have to import a kilo from the states. I like the sound of NatuRose as its pretty much Astaxanthin with a few Caratenoids thrown in and completely natural which hmm hmm, can't be said about a few of the ready made foods going around Mel.
MAC

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 01:50 AM
Nigel you have a PM.

Ben
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hi Nigel,

It’s very hard to come by Astaxanthin by naturose.

I have searched high and low for the product.

Just an idea what about higher than normal amounts of spirulina? Not only are they getting all the good stuff that enhances their colours but other nutritional goodies...

But if you did get a large amount and resold in small quantities it would sell like hot cakes!

Ben

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 02:13 AM
Hi Ben,

Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year.

I've been able to source one kilo lots out of the states but I have to make sure I can get it in the country without too much expense or hassles (have to make sure it's legal). I'll get back to you as to whether it's a goer.

MAC

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:17 AM
Ben and anyone else that is interested.

I can import NatuRose but I have to have an import licence which we have already applied for due to a few Aquaculture products we are interested in. The red tape is a pain and time consuming so it may take a month or two to get it going but providing we are successful it will be available.

It would be very helpful to know the level of interest from our members here so we have an idea on quantities to bring in. For those not aware of the benefits of NatuRose here is an extract from the suppliers.

Now FDA/CFIA approved!
NatuRose™ is the first commercially available, microalgae-based source of natural astaxanthin. It is derived from Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae and contains 15,000 ppm natural astaxanthin. NatuRose™ is extremely effective for pigmenting salmonids, sea bream, prawn and for fresh and saltwater tropical fish. It has demonstrated beneficial results with shrimp larvae, broodstock and bivalves such as abalone.

Pricing as below INC GST and based on exchange rate 11/1/06 and are subject to change. Postage would be additional.

50gms $49.95
100gms $90.00
250gms $225.00
500gms $350.00
1kg $600.00

Cheers
MAC

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 05:32 AM
Put me down for 250 gms please Nigel. :P

Mattzilla
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:10 AM
i'll definately take 50 grams

Ben
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hi Mac,

That’s awesome news about the Naturose!
And better still that is a great price!

For those that have not heard of this product it is totally natural and will do wonders if added to your beef heart mix. It will naturally enhance the red pigments in your fish.

Everything about this product is good as contains many antioxidants that discus utilize.

Mac i have sent you an email.

Cheers
Ben

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 11:43 PM
Back at you Ben.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:18 AM
I think I had better clarify something regarding NatuRose after nearly causing WW3 on another popular forum. NatuRose IS NOT a food, it is a food additive and therefore it is to be used sparingly. If you're feeding just a few fish a 50gm container, in my estimation, would last 6-12 months.

As Discus keepers and breeders I'm sure you already understand this, unfortunately, some other people don't.
Cheers
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 07:48 AM
I hope I don't bore you guys here but the more I read about this product the more I am impressed and I'm genuinely excited about it's possibilities. It has a heap more benefits than I thought or heard it did and have today been talking to the growers of it in Hawaii.

Firstly, it's as cheap as, 3-6 gms per kilo of food will get you maximum results colour wise but it's not only that, the technical analysis shows proteins, fats, vitamins, amino acids and minerals, all of the stuff we love to get inside our fish.

This is a long post anyway so I wont post the entire article but anyone that wants it please PM or email me and I'll pass it on. It really is good reading. The technical analysis is also available if anyone wants it.

Here's just a snippet courtesy of the manufacturers.....

The luminous carotenoid colors of tropical fish are not only keys for species identification and mating signals, they have significant physiological roles as well. The use of carotenoids as pigments in aquaculture is well documented, and it appears their broader functions include a role as an antioxidant, provitamin A activity, immune enhancement, hormone, reproduction, growth, maturation, and photoprotection.

The sand-burrowing shrimp, Emerita analoga, feeds upon algae and detritus within the sand layers. It has been found that the seasonal astaxanthin levels in the carapace and eggs parallels the exposure to sunlight, indicating that the carotenoids serve to protect external proteins and eggs from ultraviolet exposure. An extensive body of data stresses the vital role of carotenoids in the physiology and overall health and concludes that carotenoids are essential nutrients that are required in all
aquatic diets. Beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A, which is required for the biochemical processes involved in vision. Furthermore, vitamin A plays an important role in the growth, development, and integrity of mucous surfaces.

However, the majority of research concerning astaxanthin and other carotenoids has been aimed at its role in photoprotection and as an
antioxidant in quenching of oxygen radicals.

One of the greatest challenges in the tropical marine ornamental industry is to accurately replicate the natural color of fish that are maintained in the captive environment. Numerous operations that have mastered the art and science of propagation have failed to successfully market their fish due to faded colors. Various products have been introduced to alleviate this problem, but none of these has performed as effectively and consistently as natural astaxanthin produced from Haematococcus algae.

On a commercial scale, inclusion rates of as low as 30 ppm astaxanthin from NatuRose was used on a daily basis in over 600 aquariums of fresh and salt water fishes as a supplement to live and flake foods. A significant improvement in color could be seen in most species of tetras, cichlids, gouramis, goldfish, koi, danios, as well as many other species.

Stocks of over 50,000 individual fishes were as healthy and vigorous as ever, if not more so, since the initiation of the large-scale program (Aquarium Center, Inc. of Randallstown Maryland). NatuRose added to feeds of 40 day old Amphiprion ocellaris caused a dramatic enhancement of color and market value after only 10 days (Reef Propagations Inc.). The largest breeder of marine ornamentals in the world augments their own feeds with NatuRose to enhance pigmentation and fertility.

At a fish farm in Kapa’au, Hawaii, NatuRose at 25 ppm astaxanthin was mixed into Moore Clarke ‘Nutra Starter Feed’ and fed to Red Velvet Swordtails and Neon Green Swordtails. By the fifth feeding, pigmentation is noticeably improved and by 30 days the color has achieved market quality. Feed not supplemented with NatuRose did not meet market quality standards.

Further feeding trials in Kaunakakai, Hawaii using NatuRose mixed into Rangen Trout Swim-Up feed, demonstrated excellent efficacy in Rosy Barbs, Cichlids, gouramis, koi, and Red Velvet Swordtails."

If you're asleep I apologise.
MAC

oscar
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 09:01 AM
MAC,

I'll definitely get some.

How much would you put in say 2kg of beefheart mix? (Just to get an idea of consumption)

What is this product's shelf life?

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 09:25 AM
As long as you keep it at room temperature or below it has a good shelf life. Further to this if you freeze it (in your mix) it will last as long as your food does, no problem, it has minimal loss, from memory around 1.4% of Astaxanthin. 2kg of food at the recommended rate would be 6-12gms of NatuRose. You just have to work out how long 2kg of food lasts you to establish the cost effectiveness of the product. I have, it's as cheap as chips!
MAC

Dave76
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
Put me down for 50gms please.

Anyone else in WA want to combine & save a bit on shipping (not that 50g costs much to ship).......

Cheers Dave

Ben
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 12:32 PM
Mac,

thanks for sharing that infomation.

I would love to read the whole article, please send to my email address:

ben_muhr@hotmail.com

Thanks again
Ben

Ben
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 02:48 AM
Thanks for sending that Mac.

In the past i have kept the product in the freezer when it has not been made with beef heart mix.

it should be noted that it has lots of goodies other than enhancing the colour.

Ben

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 03:29 AM
Another bit of good news too Ben, I have found the growers/manufacturers of the product as opposed to a reseller in the states and the pricing is considerably less than I was quoted elsewhere. I'll revise the pricing downwards once they confirm the freight costs which should be Monday or Tuesday.
Cheers
MAC

marg
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 05:12 AM
Hi Mac,

When you get the prices can you put them on the Forum?

I would be interested in 50 grams.,

Regards,

Marg.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 09:44 AM
Sure Marg, should be Monday or Tuesday.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 07:42 PM
Guys and Girls,

I have this morning received confirmation of shipping costs from the growers of NatuRose so below are the revised prices and they are considerably less than the reseller we first spoke to, how it pays to keep looking!

50gm $34.95
100gm $65.00
250gm $150.00
500gm $250.00
1kg $400.00

The above pricing does not include domestic postage and are subject to change depending on exchange rates.

Please remember that NatuRose is a food additive and you only use 3-6gms of the product to 1Kg of food. I have attached the technical analysis for anyone that is interested.
Cheers MAC

G-1000
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:22 AM
Hey Mac,

When would you be getting this stuff in?

I am considering using it...

G

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:42 AM
Hi G,

Funnily enough 5 minutes ago I received approval of our import license application so it should only be two or three weeks away.
MAC

G-1000
Sun Jan 22, 2006, 06:50 AM
Ahhh sweet.

Let me know when you get hold of it (although I would need only about 10 grams or so lol)

G

ozarowana
Sun Jan 22, 2006, 01:45 PM
I'm interested in 50g aswell.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jan 22, 2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the interest guys, the product is being shipped today so we should have it by the end of this week or early next. Will let you know when its ready to go.
MAC

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 06:13 AM
Count me in Nigel. :wink:

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
Will do and thanks for the interest Mel.
NB

mistakes r crucial
Tue Feb 07, 2006, 06:54 AM
Hi

I will post pics of the first lot of results with NatuRose over the next couple of weeks but thus far I am more than impressed. Ive fed half a batch of 8 week old fry without NatuRose and half with for the last 3 days (3-4 times a day) and the difference is already outstanding. The body and fin colour is already showing and they just seem to have more of a shine about them.

I have just received information from the growers in Hawaii that, in their words, "Just as an FYI, I have heard anecdotal evidence that NatuRose is beneficial for ornamental reproduction (increased fecundity and egg quality). I have seen data for brood stock food fish that shows these results." I have asked for this information in writing so I will post it as soon as I get it.

All in all, at this very early stage, I am very impressed with everything about it and not just colour, it's the overall health benefits that interest me. Please do not think I write this on this particular forum just to sell it, I enjoy and respect it and its members far too much for that and to be frank, the first shipment is just about gone anyway, a well known retailer just about wiped me out!

Cheers
MAC

ozarowana
Wed Feb 08, 2006, 06:36 AM
The book Exotic Discus of the World has a section about colouring fish and the author of that chapter also talks about the many health benefits of carotenoids.

endless
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 04:08 AM
astaxanthin powder is awesome. Even my white swan is turning pink, which mind you is not a good thing but its great for my pigeon blood strains.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Endless,

Astaxanthin is great but where are you getting it from? Is it natural or synthetic? You will obviously make up your own mind but take a look at www.cyanotech.com, it rocks!
MAC

Ben
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 01:44 AM
Not only does naturose enhance the colours of fish, it has a very interesting affect on eggs! Not only does it make them golden red in colour but seems to make the eggs look bigger, healthier and stronger.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 06:00 AM
Hi Ben,

I wish you'd tell my best looking young pair of Gold Melons that, "sigh", 6th time they've spawned and he's still firing blanks! I think he needs a real good talking to by some of the more experienced females on this forum.
MAC

ozarowana
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 04:56 AM
MAC,

I reckon my golds tried 20+ times before they got a decent number of wrigglers and also a couple of times after this with not much luck.

I read somewhere that the male needs to touch the eggs to fertilise them and some females place their eggs over a large area and the male doesn't get to them all. I have watched some males and they just pass over the same place.

Mine laid on the uptake tube of an aquaclear which is probably an inch wide which may have helped the male a bit with fertilization.

I might try giving them a few thin pipes and see how it goes.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 08:04 PM
Sorry guys but I've just logged on and realised that my dear teenage son has posted the wrong pics apart from the"without" pic. What he has shown you is a tank full of culls that Ive fed 12gms per kilo as an experiment. It works too well at that rate! I'll get the right ones up this afternoon.
MAC

Edit: Here are the right ones plus a couple of adults that have been on it for about 4 days. The reds are definitely deeper and the yellows quite a bit brighter already.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 05:18 AM
Red Melon and Gold Leopard after 4 days.

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 07:46 AM
Quite a difference in the colours of the fish being fed naturose. Thanks for posting the photos.

spencer
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Mac
If possible, I would like 50g...just let me know when & where to send the cash
Thanks
Max

mistakes r crucial
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hi Spencer,

Thanks for the interest in NatuRose. As we have retailers selling NatuRose unfortunately we no longer sell it direct. One of our sponsors now has it available, Ben from AOA. He can be contacted by either phoning 07 3800 5592 or visiting his web site at http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/
Thanks again.
MAC