PDA

View Full Version : Yellow spawn

ozarowana
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:54 AM
Not really wanting to breed these guys due to time constraints, I thought a bunch a wrigglers was too good an opportunity to waste. So I removed the other discus to another tank.

They are in a 250L tank which is about half full atm. The fry took a while to attach (a few didnt make it) and I had to lower the water level and take everything out of the tank except the heater and an airstone.

They are 7 days free swimming today.

kalebjarrod
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 03:18 AM
WOW

thats a terrible pair :(

you must be heart broken such shoking fish paired up to breed! :oops:

i would cry myself to sleep :cry:

(sarcasim LOL)

congrats :wink:

goldenpigeon
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 03:56 AM
congrats!!! i wouldnt mind a few if the price is right :D

Lichan
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:07 AM
They are great - I love yellow Discus...havent seen many good quality ones though. Would definately be interested in some of these. Please keep us informed as to how they go and.....maybe somes updated pics as they grow :lol:

Ben
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:44 AM
Thats great news Mate!
I believe these are Roy Khoo's fish?

Thanks for the pics and keep us posted on how they go.

Cheers
Ben

ozarowana
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 05:34 AM
Thanks guys.... fingers crossed.

Yes they are from Roy.... got them Dec04/Jan05 I think.

Lichan
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:48 PM
Hey Chuong,

Hows the little yellow wrigglers coming along. Still kicking?? or did they get eaten? The parents looked as though they were doing a good job.
Would love to know how they are going.

Regards
Peter

ozarowana
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:27 AM
Peter,

They are still kicking I removed the parents yesterday as they were getting a bit annoyed. Most are probably around 1cm+. Will put up a pic when I get a chance.

I also have another yellow pair that have produced wrigglers on their first spawn, but were eaten.

G-1000
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
Those fish are disgusting. I would hate to have them spawn (JOKE)

Awesome colour! Cant wait to see offspring.

G

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 02:41 AM
Congratulations. You did well to get the fry to attach to yellow parents. It's such a difficult colour, that a lot of breeders resort to fostering the fry onto darker parents.

Lovely looking adults. Love to see more pics of the fry as they grow. :wave2

ozarowana
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I thought that they wouldn't attach either, but they eventually did after about 3 to 4 days after free swimming, which I believe is a bit later than usual.

ozarowana
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:17 PM
I believe the female was starting to eat them when she got cranky so she was removed at about 12-13 days freeswimming and the male a couple of days later as he was getting annoyed.

They are all by themselves now. They all look the same light colour so hopefully they will turn out like the parents.

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
Those fish really are a stunning colour. Good luck with raising the fry, although they seem well on the way.

Keep us updated with pictures. I'm sure a lot of members will be interested to see the fry develop.

And yes, 3 to 4 days of free swimming is a long time for the babies to attach. A tip that may help, if you decide to breed these parents again, is to keep the light out on the tank, and just have a dim room light on 24/7. It makes the parents look darker to the fry, and helps with attachment.

ozarowana
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 02:16 AM
20 Jan

ozarowana
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 02:18 AM
1 Feb

ozarowana
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 02:25 AM
13 Feb

They are about 10c piece size, which I think are a bit smaller than they should be. Eating beef heart, bloodworms and pellets

When should the lights be turned off i.e no longer 24/7 (I have now turned off the lights at night) for young fish? I think they may be burning up too much energy.

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 03:37 AM
WELL DONE those babies are a gorgeous colour and growing well for their age. Don't worry about them being a bit smaller. I find that a lot of the highly modified colours don't grow as quickly as, say, a blue turk, but they still achieve full size if you keep up the water changes and regular feeding.

How many fry did you end up with? Looks you still have a good number.

Congratulations on a job well done. :wave2

DarrenJThomas
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 06:02 AM
Yellow is my favourite colour and those discus look excellent.

I would give up my full time job and just spawn lot of those suckers.

Keep up the great work.

heart beat
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 05:56 PM
nice

ozarowana
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:13 AM
26 Feb

I will probably end up with about 30 good fish. Fish in top pic doesn't eat colour bits.

ozarowana
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:18 AM
2nd March

Just under 20c piece size here. Feeding time is kinda like a school of piranha.

ozarowana
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:23 AM
15 March

No yellow apparent yet, they are a kind of creamy orange colour. Some that don't like colour bits are very pale in colour. I have stopped feeding colour bits now.

Most are 20c piece size with a few that are smaller and bigger. There is one that is gigantic compared to the others.

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:22 AM
They're growing beautifully. Well done.

Colour usually develops with age, so they are the colour they should be at the moment. It will intensify as they grow.

goldenpigeon
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 07:32 AM
wow!!! awesome!!! would love to get some off you if you are going to sell them!!!!

ozarowana
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:41 AM
It has been quite an experience breeding discus and I now appreciate that the price on many discus is cheap considering the time, effort etc put into raising them. I think I need an auto feeder as they don't get anything during the middle part of the day.

I have an empty 6ft tank which I will move them to when they get a bit bigger. From there I guess I will thin some out as they grow.

Dee
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 09:36 AM
Heya Ozarowana,

Great looking juvies, well done ! Please keep us updated with the pics mate, it's great to see these little guys growing up. Best of luck with them all.

Cheers,

Dee. :)

sunshinediscus
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 09:02 PM
Well done Chuong, great looking little discus :)

vicky
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:16 AM
Great ... just great.
Congratulations Ozarowana.

Nathan
Sun Apr 02, 2006, 08:08 AM
wish you were in melb, love to get a few of them. you did a great job mate.

nathan

nicholas76
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 02:23 AM
Ozarowana,

Pure brilliance.

rytis
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 02:24 AM
wow, thx for sharing all the stages with us! interesting...

Liverpool_pete
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:19 PM
ozarowana,

Any updated pics?? They sure look great.

Peter

ozarowana
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:53 AM
Thanks guys.... not too sure about pure brilliance though, more like pure luck :D

Will try and get some recent pics up as they're starting to get big.

nicholas76
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 03:20 AM
I call it as I see it!

:D

ozarowana
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 12:40 AM
19 April

Here are some of the larger ones which I have moved to a 6ft tank, to give the smaller ones a chance at feeding time.

I am giving these colour enhancing food because I ran out of breeders premium. They are super clean, but don't think they are as nicely coloured as their parents. They kind of look like the original golden discus.

ozarowana
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 12:41 AM
couple more pics

goldenpigeon
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 03:55 AM
nice fish mate!!!! plz let me know when you are selling some :D

Ben
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 05:31 AM
One of the nicest golden discus I have seen bred in Australia!

jim from sydney
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 10:10 AM
Oza

Truly a work of art....thanks for the continal update with the pictures, what a great effort on your behalf
how many do you have left from the original start in january

ozarowana
Fri May 12, 2006, 03:08 AM
Jim

I have about 15 nicely shaped fish that are growing well. I culled a few and still have a few that are ok but not the greatest shape which will be going to friends and family.

I'll post some more pics when they change a bit more. Can't wait to see what they end up looking like. :D

Discus 41
Sun May 14, 2006, 08:15 AM
Keep up the great work as this is what we all are striving for !!!!!!!!
Envious in Melbourne

phear
Tue May 23, 2006, 07:04 AM
they look great mate.

if you are interested in selling some like around 10 shoot me a pm.

Cheers Jamie

ozarowana
Wed May 24, 2006, 01:15 AM
Jamie,

All the fish are on hold or have gone. I may try breeding the pair again in the near fuure. I'll keep you posted.

phear
Wed May 24, 2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks mate just shoot me a pm if u do decide to sell any!

can i ask how much u got for them at what age/size?

thanks
Jamie

ozarowana
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:30 AM
An interesting looking fish, which gives a bit of an indication to the background of these fish.

norto
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 11:54 AM
Ozarowana,
Just to back up phear question the parents of these young ones did you pair them up themselves out of a few fish or did you get them as a breeding pair. Great work! :D :D
Norto.

mcloughlin2
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 09:54 PM
Norto, check out this link...its the thread regarding the parents of the fish... :wink:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15238&highlight=#15238

ozarowana
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks mcloughlin2

Almost looks like the fish in your avatar

norto
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for that.Had a look they look fantastic.My brother and I are heading to Sydney to have a look at some aquarium Shops as well as picking up a few tanks to start our setup, Is there anywhere around the Blacktown, Penrith, Virtually western Sydney area that you would reccomend having a look at. (We will already be in Blacktown on Business otherwise I would like to have a look at Slippery Little Suckers).
Thanks.
Kind regards,
Norto. :D

G-1000
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 06:49 AM
Oz - Time for a picture update of that "McLoughlin Avatar" discus !

ozarowana
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 11:27 AM
You'll have to ask vince :wink:

A pic before it left

Lichan
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:43 AM
Bought these guys from OzArowana end of May just gone. Thought id share some pics now that they have grown a bit...
They are from the same spawn as the one above.

goldenpigeon
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
nice to see them browsing discus forums in the bottom pic Pete! hehehe

they look excellent!

Ben
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 12:33 PM
Great fish Peter!!!

Dont feed them much tetra bits....
keep em "au naturale"

Great shape Too!

cheers
Ben

Lichan
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks Ben and GP - I am really happy with these guys.

I love the colour and I think they are growing out nicely.

I give them as much food as they want and water change as often as possible - sometimes twice a day.

Aside from that... they have to be the friendliest Discus ive ever seen - scared of nothing and always eager for attention.

OzArowana certainly did a great job starting these guys off.

wind54
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 01:38 PM
awesome fish Pete!

ozarowana
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 02:50 AM
WOW... you have done an awesome job. They certainly look well fed.

Thanks for the pics/update.

Can I have them back now??? :wink: :lol: