PDA

View Full Version : New Home

oscar
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:44 AM
Hey All,

Bought my friends a new place to sleep :D and thought i'd share a quick pic. It's an 8x2x2. I've only had the tank a couple of days and i know most will say that these fish probably shouldn't be in there yet, but i had little choice. I'm painting the house so i had to empty two tanks into this one in order to get to the walls.

I useds two live cannister filters and live gravel from the other two tanks so all the bacteria is already there, i guess it's almost just like doing a really big water change. I did let the tank run for as long as i could before putting the fish in.

Also, don't mind the algae on some of the plants, one of the old tanks was getting a bit of sunlight :cry: I'll get on top of that.

The tank is very much a work in progress as i've had to use bits that i already had at hand. I'll furnish it properly with wood and plants over the comming weeks and post some new pics.

oscar
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
Yellow Melon.

Not to good at snapping moving targets!

oscar
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:50 AM
Red Turq.

Yes he's a bit runted, but i like him nonetheless He was my first ever discus so the poor bugger had to wear my discus learning curve.

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:26 PM
Gorgeous. I just love it, but then I have a bit of a thing for big tanks LOL. Love to see it when you've got it finished.

Ben
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:51 PM
WOW thats a big tank! You crazy discus people! :wink:

Thanks for the pics Oscar and keep us posted as the tank develops. :D

Cheers
Ben

goldenpigeon
Fri Dec 30, 2005, 01:43 PM
geeez mate i dont think you will have enough water for 4 discus. your pushing it to get 40L of water per discus ;) :lol:

very nice tank..... are you sur they have enough room? looks a little squishy! heheheheehe

cheers

nicholas76
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 06:34 AM
NICE TANK

everyones dream to own a tank that big!

Kenneth
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:05 PM
Oh wow that is a beautiful (runted) Red Turq! I love it!......oh yes the tank's nice as well. :lol: :D Surely you have no choice but to move a couple of the discus to another 8 footer to make room. They look uncomfortable because of the lack of room. :shock:

What's running on the bad boy?

Kenneth

oscar
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah space is definitely at a premium here at the moment. Having said that, it never takes long to fill a tank up...you always want more.

As i said earlier, the tank it somewhat pieced together at the moment as it was a last minute decision to actually set it up this early. Figured we'd do it during the house painting process as opposed to moving and re-establishing, painting, moving & re-establish the other tanks again, and then seting this one up. It just seemed easier to paint an area and use this as a half-way house while we paint the rest and then set it everything up properly once.

At the moment the tak is just running AquaOne Aquis 2400, Via Aqua 650 (AquaOne CF1000) cannisters, 2x300W heaters, 2x24W internal UV sterilisers, and a few 4 foot tubes for lighting.

It will have shortly: 1xAO Aquis 2400, 1xFluval FX5 (not going to get anoter AO 2400 with the leaking problems of this one), 2xHydor 400W heaters (not a huge issue up here at the moment as i actually have to run the house A/C to keep the tank temp down), a 30/36W inline UV steriliser.

All those bits should arrive by next week.

Once i get the tank scaped a bit better i'll post some more pics.

oscar
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
An updated pic.

The tank is now 21 days old and moving along quite nicely.

Purchased a pressurised CO2 system this week and it'll go in tomorrow so next time you see the tank it should be substantially different.

Cheers for now... 8-)

Mattzilla
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 03:03 PM
i thinkthe tank looks great...the far right looks like you hav a banzai tree in there! fantastic!!!!!

Del
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:59 PM
Wow Oscar - great tank!

It can always double as a lap pool on those hot days...

Can't wait for the next photo once the Co2 kicks in!

DEL

Ben
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:58 PM
Oscar, the tank is really starting to look good and is taking great shape!

The wood on the far right looks awesome!

Please keep us posted!

Cheers
Ben

oscar
Sat Jan 21, 2006, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys.

Next time i might take a pic during the day so the light isn't so intense on the camera.