PDA

View Full Version : head down

curly69
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:00 AM
Hi Everyone
My dominant fish has started resting with his/her head down. He/she seems to be spending most of his/her time like this. He/she is still eating well and is the dominant fish. He/she still looks after the eggs which at present are being layed on average every 8-9 days. These last about 3 days before being eaten. There are no visable signs of illness.

Tank mates include 2 other discus, 11 cardinals, 4 clown loaches - one of which is approx 5 inches long - 3 algie eaters. Most of these fish have been in the tank for 2 years. The dominant fish has grown to nearly 3 times its original size with never any health problems.

I live in Sydney, could the recent water problem be a factor??? Do I have a problem or is it just a phase it's going through??

All the best Mike

fishgeek
Thu Dec 29, 2005, 02:46 PM
disease's that may cause headstanding include
- large gas filled lesions inthe caudal half og the fish ie edwardsiella
- swim bladder rupure
- nervous system disease

it can be normal for fish that are being cleaned by another to assume this position

andrew

curly69
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for that he is still headstanding,they are still laying eggs, he is still eating well,and he can swim o.k when he wants to.But his tail now has a white egde to it and he is headstanding 99% of the time what can i do i am sure it is not o.k there are no out ward signs that something is up,but i am worryed. All the best and a happy new year to you all.Mike.

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 06:58 AM
Mike, any change in the condition of the fish. If it was a mild swim bladder disorder, it should have cured itself by now.

We might need to think of some antibiotics if the condition is still present.

curly69
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thank you ladyred for helping, no things are still the same this has been going on a few months now.Have tried espom salt all that has done is upset my cardinals,he is still eating well,and swims o.k now and then,but on each side of his body there are small indentations.His fins are getting better thanks again for your time all the best Mike.