PDA

View Full Version : Am I Being Jerked Around ?

G-1000
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 12:37 AM
I went to my LFS 4 weeks ago and wanted to order a new dalbarb tank, in dimensions which are not considered "standard". It is only 4 foot though.

Anyhow, I was told that it would take about 4 weeks to make etc, but because of x-mas etc, it would possibly take another week. So anyway - since it should have taken 4 weeks roughly I went to check on it and I was told that it would be the second week of january at the earliest ?!?!?!

What is that ? I get the feeling I am being jerked around here, surely dalbarb doesnt take that long to manafacture stuff...

Thoughts ?

Proteus
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 01:37 AM
Personally I would have gone another option such as getting one of the sponsors (Xtreme) to make one, as there is no such thing as a standard tank (they make them all from scratch).

have you paid for it?

G-1000
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 02:29 AM
Yeh mate,

Its all paid for.

G

Proteus
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 03:06 AM
ok, in that case you are being jerked around.

It only takes 1-2 weeks to have a tank made, and enough resting time for the seals to be sound...

grumpyold
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:32 AM
I ran into people from Dalbarb couple of days before Xmas and they said that they would be away on holidays for 2 weeks. Maybe thats why but I would have thought they would have some stock on hand just the same.
Linda

G-1000
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 03:14 AM
UPDATE

It is now 6 weeks since I placed the order and I am still yet to receive the tank. This is disgraceful.

G

marg
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:21 AM
G-1000, that is really lousy :evil: :evil:

Seeing as you have already paid for the tank there probably isn't much you can do about it (just hope that it doesn't take much longer!!), but once you get delivery of it if it were me I would be letting them know that I would not be frequenting their shop in the future for anything, and that they have lost a potentially good Customer.

Did they give you any Paperwork stating a delivery date? If so, maybe Consumer Affairs could help you (like cancel the order and obtain a refund maybe?) :roll:

So sorry you are having such a hassle.,

Regards,

Marg.

G-1000
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:09 AM
Hi Margot

Yeh I have it in writing about the delivery date "5 weeks max" from when I paid for it. I think I should push for a discount or something. Whether or not the manafacturers are taking a long time due to holidays is irrelevant to me - if you run a LFS you should not agree to delivery dates that you cant honour.

Still - I dont know about consumer affairs just yet. I would be happier with a discount and an apology.

Thanks for your input.

G

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 06:52 AM
G I'd suggest you put your complaint in writing, in a calm and factual manner. A letter is something that cannot be ignored, unlike a verbal complaint at the counter, and if you address it to the manager, then at least you know that it is getting to the right person.

At this stage I think I'd be giving then 7 days to produce the tank, or demand a full refund.

A discount or free delivery would be nice, but probably unrealistic. In future, never pay in full for goods before you get them. Leave a deposit only.

Good luck.

nicholas76
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 08:02 AM
daam, bad luck on the quality of service from that LFS

id go down there get them to committ to a delivery date and time or a complete refund then and there!

G-1000
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:18 AM
I have rung the LFS today and tried to get a date out of them and on top of the time it has already taken, the guy said that dalbarb wont be back in production until next week.

Having paid a deposit I thought most LFS would be only too happy to get the rest of the money - obviously some enjoy stuffing their customers around.

G

AgeofAquariums
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:29 AM
Hi All,

In a small defence to any LFS some of our major suppliers are pathetic when it comes to ETA's etc.. I have been waiting on Aquaplus & Melafix orders now since october with no sign of it showing up or even a phone call to let me know what is happening. Im in a situation wheir im running completely dry on these 2 lines and the sole distributor of this product can not even give me a expected time of delivery. I would have been completely out before xmas if it was not for the fact that we buy it in by the pallet which normally lets me run with 2 months of chemicals. When it comes to delivery times to my customers i give them fair warning if they wish to order a item off me which is out of stock. We try to keep over 95% off our lines but sometimes out of stocks are unavoidable.

Ben :evil:

G-1000
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:36 AM
Hi Ben,

I totally agree with you when you say that sometimes out of stocks cant be helped etc. But the issue with my LFS is that my tank should have been in 2 weeks ago now (as was per a written date for delivery mutually agreed upon) yet I am still waiting for it.

As far as your situation goes Ben, I am sure I can speak for everybody here on the forum when I say that your service and customer support is exceptional and I would buy everything for my fish (bar the tank itself) from you. I am sure people know your situation and know that you do everything you can. I just wish my LFS had the same amount of respect and commitment to its customers that you do.

G

AgeofAquariums
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:39 AM
Hi G,

Mate i totally agree. You will not see me give a written guarantee on out of stock items as i simply have little to no faith in several of my major suppliers.

Ben :D

dreamer
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:03 AM
i agree ben's service is great!! now if only he will start selling tank etc in sydney :p

marg
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 04:22 AM
Dreamer after reading Merrilyn's comments I am inclined to go with her advice.

At least if they don't produce the Tank and providig you are able to get a refund, you could then go elsewhere.

I have also been a happy Customer of Ben in the past - great service!!

Marg.

Ben
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 12:46 PM
I am with everyone!

AOA all the way!

keep up the good work Ben!

Pharian
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 03:18 AM
In future, never pay in full for goods before you get them. Leave a deposit only..

hear hear!

G-1000
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 06:54 AM
Haha

Yes thats quite true

I have paid a fairly large deposit - not in full, but still a fiar percentage.

Still waiting for it btw

lol

G

sammigold
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 09:23 AM
I totally agree with LR on the effectiveness of a letter of complaint...

If you state your case and direct it to the manager of the complaints dept. most large business have a "business practice" in regard to complaints... you would normally receive an answer within 14 days...

It depends on who you write it to.. The manufacturer of the tank or the Manager of the Aquarium that you have ordered it from... Its hard when two parties are involved (maybe write to both)

If I were you I would call consumer affairs and ask them where you stand in regard to your rights.. ie. you may be able to get a refund of your deposit... It only costs 20c for a phone call and then you can go to the aquarium with a letter stating those rights and what you consider to be a fair way to resolve the matter.... and they will realise that you are not prepared to be jerked around any longer. Good luck with whatever you decide.

grumpyold
Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:44 PM
You have every legal right to demand your deposit back and go elsewhere as plenty of shops sell Dalbarb Setups,
You did say however that your order was 'not standard'..How 'not standard' are we talking.. Possibly your slight changes have ment a heaver grade of glass has to be used and apart from holup with Dalbarb on holidays possibly the supplier of glass has also been away.
However it is a bit shabby for shop to have not informed you of the problems and kept you informed with the progress.
I would be asking for money back and take my money elsewhere.
Linda