PDA

View Full Version : Heaters - High End

Benny
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 06:27 PM
Hey all, given the hiccup my parents suffered i wanna put a better heater in the tank.....

The one that failed was a 300w Aquaone Stainless heater (which i figured was a premium product?)

The tank is 95g or 350L and was wondering which route to take?

Sicce Scuba 300w?
Hydor internal 300 or 400w?
hydor external 300w?

Peoples thoughts are encouraged!!!

Regards,
Benny

chrissyoscar
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 08:36 PM
I would go with 2 heaters, the Hydor 300w external and a Hydor 400w internal or even 2 - 400w internals.
I don't think one heater will be enough for such a large tank and that's probably what killed the Aquaone heater as it was probably running most of the time.
The benfit of having two heaters is a more stable tank temperature and also if one heater goes the other heater will still be able to keep the tank warm.

Proteus
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 10:45 PM
I have used the AquaOne Stainless 300w heaters for years, never had a problem, however, I use 2 per tank, as per what was raised in the previous reply.

Regardless what you choose, get a back up heater, firstly to reduce the load on the main heater, and secondly as a safety device if the first one fails.

Benny, in the very same tank that you have I used to have 1 x 300w plus 1 x 200w

Dave76
Sun Dec 25, 2005, 02:26 AM
The other thing I would suggest getting is a digital thermometer which has an alarm that sounds if a min/max temp is breached - will let you know pretty quickly if the heater is stuck off or on.

Dave

Mulisha
Sun Dec 25, 2005, 05:58 AM
I have a 450L tank and i used a 300watt Jager heater in there and still is in there and will heat my tank very fast and it is internal and also is very large in size much much bigger then the aquaone 300w and others..

HTH :lol:

Jeroen
Mon Dec 26, 2005, 02:30 AM
Jagers 300 watt are good enough to keep a tank of 1000 liters at a deceant temeperature.
But don't forget. this is all calculated to a average room temp. of 20 degress celsius.
So besides the safetay zone with to heathers I am conviced that 300 watt to a 350 liter tank is more then enough
I run 6 tanks here...my showtank is 420 liters + a externel eheim prof III (externel means extra lose of heat) and the jager300 watt can manage easely.

Don't know what the prices are for Jager, but at this moment I pay 23.99 euro for a 300watt

Ben
Mon Dec 26, 2005, 09:18 AM
As Oscar mentioned i would go Hydor 300w external on a canister filter if possible and the addition of either a 300 or 400 watt hydor internal heater.

This time of year in Australia maintaining tank temperature is easy but think about winter time when heaters will need to heat more.

Ben