PDA

View Full Version : How to best show off discus colours?

Mulisha
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 08:39 AM
Hi

i was woundering we go to all this trouble of feeding discus high quality food etc and we may only have a 1 lamp or something over the tank or just the room light..

What do u guys and girls think the best lighting, background lighting kelvin rating etc..

Everyone post how you all got your maxium looking fish colours :!:

Thanks everyone :P

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 09:10 AM
bright lights with a light coloured background ( sky blue for example) and light coloured gravel if a planted tank

the colour spectrum of the fluro tubes you use also effects colour. i try to use globes with high blue and red colour spectrums. works for me...but i am definately no expert on lighting

cheers

Mulisha
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 09:28 AM
Cheers Matt does 10,000K tubes have enuff blue in them because i have a few lying around and will plants grow ok with this 10,000K rating as well i mainly want disucs to show there colour the best.

I have light blue back ground white gravel and 1 single 2ft light on a 5ft tank LOL LOL that's why i was woundering what lighting becuase bunnings are selling a double 4ft light for $39.95 and was thinking this could do the trick :wink:

Quick question: Why do my 15 week old Red Turks become see thru when side on to the light up one end of the tank at night time becuase i can see there insides and like skelton :shock: :shock: is this a bad thing :?: :?: :?:

CHEERS..

G-1000
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 12:53 AM
I think the best way to bring out colour in discus is with their foods.

As far as lighting goes, just make sure you have no shadows i.e double reflector light.

G

Ben
Wed Dec 28, 2005, 01:20 AM
I think the best way to bring out colour in discus is with their foods.

Higher than normal amounts of spirulina is the key!