PDA

View Full Version : rocks?

derekyeakel
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 11:42 PM
hello all! i got a few rocks from the creek near my house that are realy nice. i couldnt find anything i liked at the LFS :( . anyway is it safe to put these in my tank? and if so what should i do with them to make sure they are clean :?:

electric molecular
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 11:50 PM
Hey Derek,

I got some rocks myself from a beach recently. I just soaked them for a couple of days then added them and nothing bad happened. You could try scrubbing them--others might tell you to scrub them with diluted bleach or something, but I stay away from products like that. I think you would be right just to soak them for a little while then add them...

Claire.

goldenpigeon
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 12:24 AM
there is a test you can do to see if they are unfit for your tank.

what you have to so is give your rocks a good scrub. then get some vinegar and pour a small amount onto the rocks. if the vinegar fizzes then that means that it has reacted with something on the rock. anyway i know that if the vinegar fizzes it means u can use them

HTH

mcloughlin2
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 01:59 AM
what you have to so is give your rocks a good scrub. then get some vinegar and pour a small amount onto the rocks. if the vinegar fizzes then that means that it has reacted with something on the rock. anyway i know that if the vinegar fizzes it means u can use them

Hmmm...i thought it was the other way around...i thought if the vinnager fizzes u cant use them...can anyone else back this up?

Mulisha
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:12 AM
Yeah i think if the vinger fizzes means there is like something in the rock so if it doesn't fizz means it like sealed and nothing can get in or out :?:

I'm not 100% sure..

Liverpool_pete
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:16 AM
I think you will find if the vinegar fizzes then it will alter the Ph (bost it up) of your tank and as we all know that is bad.

HTH

derekyeakel
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:16 AM
fiz or not to fiz that is the question! what i was actualy going to do is scrub the crap out of em soak em in water for a couple days and test the water they where in for amonia,nitrates,etc..... how does that sound???

Mulisha
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:17 AM
Yeah your right i think it contains a KH boosted in it if it fizzes :P

goldenpigeon
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:39 AM
well as i understand it if the vinegar fizzes a reaction is being caused. in there is no fiz then as Rick said it means the rock is sealed. if it fizzed then i would not use them. whether it is a KH boost or anything like that. if you are unsure then dont use them. better safe then sorry!!!!!

Mulisha
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:44 AM
your right about that LOL i added rocks that fizzed becuase i was a noob back then and had like hardest water ever and ph of like 9.0 LOL

Good old Jewel Chiclid LOL they leave threw anything..

Liverpool_pete
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 12:05 PM
Maybe test the water in the cup before and after i would be more looking at ph rather than amonia and nitrates.

axelfaz
Thu Dec 22, 2005, 11:46 PM
hi guys what it mean if it fizzs its akline and makes your water hard like limestone crushed mable etc

electric molecular
Fri Dec 23, 2005, 01:21 AM
Oh yeah forgot to mention that when I put rocks in and had no trouble, I did do the vinegar fizz test--there was no reaction which meant the rocks were safe to put in.

Claire.

Mulisha
Fri Dec 23, 2005, 05:06 AM
good to know :D

have you got a pic of the rocks in ya tank?

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 23, 2005, 06:17 AM
Derek, soak the rocks in some salty water. The salt will kill any fresh water nasties, then give them a good rinse in plain water. Check the pH in your tank for a few days after you add the rocks, and see if it's making a difference to your water.

So long as the rocks are smooth, and water worn, they should be fine. Sharp rocks are not a good idea with discus.

BTW, the vinegar test is an old fashioned way of testing rocks. Normal vinegar is too weak an acid to produce much of a reaction. You actually need something stronger than that. Just checking the water for an increase in pH and hardness is a more reliable test. :P

electric molecular
Fri Dec 23, 2005, 10:01 PM
Mulisha, this is the type of rocks I have in my tank--as you can see, they are well water worn.

Mulisha
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah that's looks nice i seem to always find very bad rocks that leak stuff into my tank LOL so now i go for driftwood :lol:

piranha-discus
Sat Dec 24, 2005, 05:19 AM
hi there , i know a beach where absolutly plenty of those rocks in victoria, the closest to melb as i know , go to flinders beach in the mornington peninsula, it is salt water there but the beach is coved of those sort rocks, the salt water would kill all the germs then u would have to clean it very well out , possible boil it like what i did. get a big pice glass for the back of tank, then use those gravel as in the pic as electric molecular pasted, use silicone and then paste it on the glass , stick those rocks on then finish the project with the gravel as electric molecular pic to cover all the silicone.and put some plants on too, i mean fake ones,( can use real plants but let the project dry out first) as when every thing dries then u give it another wash then, stick it on a angle, about 60 to 80 degree on the rear of your tank, thats the cheapest way i know how to get a good look background but to get that rocks u got to do a bit of driving,
,,, ben

electric molecular
Mon Dec 26, 2005, 06:42 AM
Hehe pirahna--it's funny you should mention Flinders--I actually got my rocks from Cape Schank, just near Flinders.

Oh and Merry Xmas y'all!!

Claire.

xmasfish
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 02:04 AM
Have you considered petrified wood? I have always found it to be quite inert due to the high silicon content and cut and polished or au naturale it looks great.