PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole

DarrenJThomas
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 05:34 AM
Hi

I found a product that has levamisole in it. Do you think it will be ok to use as a worming treatment for my fish.

In my tank I also have cardinals and harlequins, do you think they can also handle this type of medication.

Thanks.

fishgeek
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 09:24 PM
absolutely fine , you will want 1-2mg/l as the final concentration for a 24 hr bath, or in water tank treatment

repeat treatments may be advisable if you are doing this for more than just precaution, as levamisole(and other wormers ) will not treat encysted life stages

chris
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:52 PM
Hey Darren If I'm reading that right

absolutely fine , you will want 1-2mg/l as the final concentration for a 24 hr bath, or in water tank treatment

is that 1-2 ml per Litre to strong.
Ive used at 3ml per 7l on fry which still to strong as advice you will receive on this forum. But I suppose different strengths as-well.

Ben
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:26 AM
Coopers is another brand, compared to Sykes.

This product will be fine to use on discus.

The rate i used is 1ml per 7 litres of aquarium water.

Ben

fishgeek
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:49 AM
sorry guys but you need to use standards for things otherwise everyone will get confused and fish may be harmed

when stating dose's
standard is amount of drug and then either in weight of animal or for bath's dips volume of water

this is important otherwise we have people making statement like 1 tablet in each tank (now i am simplify that to make it look obviously stupid)
what size tablet 200mg? 400mg? 800mg?
what size tank
as you can see the end result can be radically different

the dose i have suggested is 1-2 mg, (not mls as chris has misread) of levamisol( no matter where you are getting it from)
i am aware of 3 variable strength cattle sheep drench's/injections that are available 1.5% upto 7.5%, no doubt there are other sources
there are also bird wormers avitrol available with levamisol in

that dose is per litre of tank water

this dose is from a reputable veterinary source and i have used 1.5mgs/l on many fish safely and succesfully

andrew
just trying to be correct

DarrenJThomas
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for your input into this product. It is much appreciated. I can now worm my fish at a reasonalbe cost.