PDA

View Full Version : When to move fry - updated

Dave76
Mon Dec 19, 2005, 02:11 AM
After 26 spawning attempts one of my mismatched pair have finally got it right & are looking after a couple of dozen fry - they are a week free swimming as of yesterday - attached fine & taking bbs :)

Now for the catch - I've just moved houses & all of my discus are still at the old place; I own both houses so can leave setup there for a while no problems - catch is I can only really get there in the evening to feed BBS & change water etc.

How long should I wait before moving the fry to the new house? I was going to transport enough water to fill their new tank & slowly move over to new water over a day or so as it is quite a bit different.

Any advise appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Ben
Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:08 PM
Dave.

Make sure the fries are eating BBS all by them selves and if possible move the parents out 4 days before moving the fries.

If you can get both water param's almost the same you will be able to move them at 18 days from free swimming. You will have to be very careful and use a very soft net when catching the little fries. As if they are scratched or hurt, infection can easily set in.

At this stage you really need to get as much BBS into their little bellies, 5 times per day are great and 2 x%50 water changes per day are a must.

Let me know if i can be of any more help,

Ben

Dave76
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 01:58 AM
Cheers for that Ben

Unfortunately 5 times a day bbs isn't possible atm - it will be once they are moved to the new house tho - well up until the 9th Jan when I go back to work anyway.

Currently I'm just dumping a whole lot of fresh bbs in every night when I feed them & change the water - 50% once daily atm. I've seen them eating the bbs from the bottom of the tank - so I'm guessing that is a good sign.

I'll move enough water so that they are in the same water after the move & drip th new fresh water in over a day - their growout tank has auto overflow so no probs there.

18 days works out pretty good - will give them a couple of weeks of heavy feeding & w/c - hopefully enough time to get them onto dry food for auto feeding during the day.

Here's a couple of pics I took last night :) Don't mind the dirty glass - haven't wanted to spook them by cleaning it...

Dave

Mulisha
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 02:17 AM
awersome mate they should turn out good the male looks very nice how old are the pair what size are they at the moment :?:

keep us posted on them they look really healthy and how do u have the tank set up? like filtration and tank dimensions?

Thanks for sharing :D

Ben
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 02:18 AM
Well done Dave!

they look like great parents!

Please keep us posted as they grow.

Cheers
Ben

Dave76
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:02 AM
Hi Rick

I bought the female in September last year at 1.5" & the male in Jan at 1.5". Both fish are between 5" & 6" in size. Unfortunately my female turq kamakazied from the top tank a few months ago - so I added this female who was laying, but none of my other males were interested.

I've got 4x 2ft 25gal tanks all plumbed to a 25gal sump on a rack - 2 tanks on top, 2 on middle - sump below. The discus lay on the overflow pipes.

Three of the tanks have pairs, one tank is temporary home to 3 males while I'm moving.

Sump is filled with bioballs, purigen, softening pillow & a couple of cattapa leaves & DIY nitrate reducer with filter mat pre filter.

Dave

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:36 AM
what an interesting comination. looking forward to seeing the offspring as they grow

cheers

Dave76
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 10:44 AM
Two and a bit weeks on & the fry are doing well.

They are about 1.5cm long now & eating crushed flake & fry food from the bottom as well as bbs. A few are also picking at the beefheart - but spitting it out.....

Here are some more pics. You can really notice the colour difference in the fry - some are really light, some really dark & some in between :)

Dave

Ben
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 11:56 PM
Well done Dave!

those little bubs are comming along very well!
You will have an interesting combination of colours in the fries!

keep us updated as they grow.

cheers
Ben

Dave76
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:54 AM
Five weeks old and all the fry are doing well - eating anything that goes into the tank. They are between 3 & 4 cm in size now. Is this an ok growth rate ?

The colours range from almost white through oranges to the greyish base.

The barring on them is interesting - some have 0, a lot have 9 and a couple of them have 13 or 14. Any thoughts ?

Dave

ml29
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:32 AM
Dave

Congrads on your successful move. Your discus seem to be growing well, can't wait till they grow up. Are you planning to sell them?

Regards

Marvin