PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need dechlor with Melb water

Bad Inferno
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 10:51 AM
I can remember visiting a breeder in melb and all he used was aerated water. Do we in melbourne really need to use a dechlorinator....I do currently use prime.

I want to buy a dual cartridge filter (1 micron Fine & Charcoal) and attach it to the tap and just go straight into the tank.

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 11:00 AM
You can do that, but Prime does more than just de chlorinate the water. It binds up ammonia and removes heavy metals as well.

Chlorine is a minor problem, and carbon filters will remove it from the water. Your fine filter will then remove any sediment.

Bottom line, I'd still use Prime in the water for any discus tanks.

Bad Inferno
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 11:03 AM
What if I could dose the tank with prime straight after or during the water change directly into the tank.

would it be as effective dosing into the entire tank volume instead of what I do now and dose the water barrel prior to use.

Ben
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 11:28 AM
I want to buy a dual cartridge filter (1 micron Fine & Charcoal) and attach it to the tap and just go straight into the tank.

What sort of charcoal block are you looking at using?

Bad Inferno
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 11:38 AM
Was just thinking the under sink units...On ebay they are about 70.00 for both with filters and pressure reduction valve. I think the flow rate is only 1.5 lpm

1x 1 micron Polly spun sediment
1x 1 micron Polly spun sediment

Ben
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 01:05 PM
The reason why i ask there are many types of carbon blocks for various water conditions and use's.
The better ones will take out all the nasty chemicals and %99.9 of any bacteria.

I use a Fibredyne™240SL which will do 10,000 litres of water but will take out all chemicals and bacteria.

As there is a lot of sediment in my area of Melbourne i use a .35 micron pleated sediment filter.

The water filtered through my unit does not need to be treated with any additional additives like prime etc.

I have 2 filters, the above I use for brooders and I have another which I use in my flow through tank.

If i can be of anymore help let me know!

Cheers
Ben

Bad Inferno
Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks Ben,

So you have two filter cartridges in series.
What do you think the flow rate is through the filters ?
Where did you buy the unit from, how much are the elements

cheers
rob

Ben
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 01:02 AM
Hi Rob,

It’s hard to say how much the flow rate is on both filters.

All the filtration equipment i bought from Peter at PSI filters in Tasmania.

http://www.psifilters.com.au/index.htm

I usually buy more than 1 of each cartridge so i get a discount.

Polyspun 1 micron sediment cartridge $4 each
GAC carbon $12 per kilo

That’s what i use in the filter for the flow through tank.

This is what i use on the RO unit

.35 micron pleated sediment cartridge (which is re-usable) $20 each

Fibredyne™240SL, 2 cartridges for $59.

Cheers
Ben

Bad Inferno
Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:30 AM
Great looking setup.....

by the way, you got one installed so that you can enjoy clean drinking water ? or is it just for the fish...I know what my wife would say :)

Ben
Fri Dec 23, 2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Rob,

I use the RO unit to fill water bottles which i and the mrss drink. Some times when i am lazy and have not filled some bottles up and get a glass of water straight from the tap i have a sip and throw it out!

Its amazing how nice good filtered water is!

Ben