PDA

View Full Version : beef heart

tao
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:12 AM
where can i get beef heart? i asked many buchery, they all said it's too hard to get it.

Trebs
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:26 AM
Try Woolies, ask at the window if there is none out on display.

Del
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 03:29 AM
Any Coles, Woolworths - up the back in their meat section next to the kidneys, etc.

kalebjarrod
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 04:23 AM
Ask for ox heart

they know that! :wink:

dreamer
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 04:44 AM
you probably wont be able to find in any cbd supermarket. i used pig heart instead, my fish seem to like better than beefheart ...not sure why..

DR.V
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:51 AM
I got mine from Coles or local butcher

Mulisha
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:58 AM
I got my from Coles already sliced just needed trimming :wink:

tao
Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:25 PM
thank you guys.
I could not find it in coles or woolworth in the city. before i saw it in coles of parramatta. guess what i am going to try to replace. i bought 1kg kangaroo mince in coles, because it's 99% fat free and stink:)
lets see what will happen

marg
Thu Dec 15, 2005, 12:51 AM
Tao : let us know how it goes - if it works it wouls save cleaning all the fat off the beef heart (a really messy job!!).

Regards,

Marg.

G-1000
Thu Dec 15, 2005, 01:48 AM
Hi Tao,

I would be very careful with kangaroo meat - although it is virtually fat free - the muscle fibres within it can be very tough and difficult for discus to digest. I would be careful with it - but using it is up to you mate.

G

tao
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 02:38 PM
yes, g1k you are quite right that the kangaroo's meat fiber is very long. but beef heart also has many vains. i blend mince again with food processor when it's halfly frozen.
my fish accept this food without any problems. let's see if no digesting problem in this week. that would be a very good replacement.

skoom
Fri Dec 16, 2005, 03:35 PM
if you still want the beefheart they are available at coles randwick and woolworths in bondi junction.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Dec 17, 2005, 10:16 AM
The Woolies I buy mine from has it pre packed and virtually all the fat taken off which makes life much easier. They have it in the dog meat section.

A mate of mine has been looking for turkey heart but cant get a hold of any. Any of you guys tried it before or any comments on using it. It's supposedly virtually fat free.
MAC

Ben
Sat Dec 17, 2005, 12:32 PM
Mac, i will ask some meat supplier's at work and see if turkey hearts are available.
A lot of offal gets exported over seas as other countries will pay more money than we do here in Australia. Also too, us Aussies dont cook animal hearts for dinner where some countries love it.

Will keep posted and see how i go...

Cheers

mistakes r crucial
Sat Dec 17, 2005, 06:58 PM
Cheers Ben.
MAC

DarrenJThomas
Mon Dec 19, 2005, 03:24 AM
I had the same problem in adelaide. I found that the only place i could get it was in the country where the butcher has their own slaughterhouse.